1.4^ft, (2) 4" ports, (2) - SA-8s, yes..another one

Participant count
  • Participant list

30Hertz
10+ year member

Well I get bored easily, and I enjoy building enclosures so heres another one I'm building for myself. I went a little overboard on the ports but I like em big.

The net internal volume after sub and port displacements is 1.4^ ft. The overall design is large due to me not wanting to have the ports sticking out so I'm making an internal wall to get the desired volume.

Ports are 4" Sewer Pipe, since I used two of them, the length was pretty long, 41.5" to be exact for 33hz tuning.

Modeled out in BBP6 I shouldn't need a SS filter due to the SA-8's not reaching max excursion till about 16hz but we'll see.

Using 3/4" Birch Plywood, first time using the stuff and ****, I think the weight difference alone vs MDF is worth its weight on gold.

On to some photo's, should be finished up tomorrow assuming it doesn't get to cold. Unfortunately I didn't really take a ton of photo's of the wood being cut into pieces, but heres some I've taken thus far.

IMAG0200.jpg

yah, its long

IMAG0204.jpg

IMAG0202.jpg

cutting the holes for the internal side panel for the ports to go through the wall.

IMAG0203.jpg

IMAG0195.jpg

photo of the port exit on the physical side of the enclosure. I 45'd the outer portion, looking snazzy

IMAG0197.jpg

inside of the port exit on the side,,I recessed it for the port to sit into the wood before the 45 on the outside.

IMAG0208.jpg

test fit

IMAG0206.jpg

I'll do more tomorrow, the front of back of the enclosure is glued up and setting in the garage drying.

Tomorrow's agenda,

take out current enclosure and take out the SA-8s

cut baffle and recess baffle

glue sides and baffle in place, then glue top panels

More work done today, assuming the caulk is dry by tomorrow, it'll be going in.

The majority of the day I was fiddle-fawking trying to get the ports secured. Started off with caulk but with the temperature so low..it wasnt setting, switch to PVC glue...then calked around it and set it by the heater to set up, it aint pretty, but it should work.

IMAG0211.jpg

Made a booboo on the first baffle by cutting the holes to big, rather than doing a patch job I had some spare MDF laying around so I used that, not exactly what i had planned but **** happends.

IMAG0212.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg

Cut the top birch baffle perfect

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg

Top and sides were 45'd, wanted to try something other than a round-over...small 45 on the cutouts too

IMAG0214.jpg

Rather than how I usually wire..decided to try it this way..got the enclosure pre-wired for easy drop in tomorrow.

IMAG0218.jpg

thats it, tomorrow I'll finish taking out the enclosure and installing this one..tuning, then videos

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.