1 15" vs. 1 18"

bugflipper
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
US
Trying to keep the money down so wanting to get the most bang for the buck. In 18" I am going to be limited due to budget. But there is at least mach5 audio. May be others I don't know about. Power will be from a sundown saz1500d. Budget is about $250. Wanting a little sq but am willing to trade off some for loudness. Plenty of volume for either size. It needs to have a good size magnet to keep the transient response high. Which size would be better and why? And please point me in the right direction for a model. Music is rock/metal. It is for a daily driver. Needs to run for an hour at a time without thermal issues 5 days a week twice a day. Will build a competent box as well. Go ahead and suggest that if you have time. IE, ported tuned to 35 hz 4.5 ft3. That is if you have or have heard a good combo for a specific sub. Just throw any subs you can think of that will fit the criteria. I will try to find reviews on them, and ask for more details if I can't locate any info. I guess what I am looking for is for it to pound. Looking into a single to keep the $ down so hoping there is one that will be louder than a traditional dual 12 setup.

Thanks

No doubt cone area is a determining factor. However just becaue 2 brand a 12 inch subs have more cone area than 1 brand b 15 does not mean the 12s will be louder. I am trying to get 1 good sub instead of 2 ok subs. Generally a larger sub is a little easier in producing sound down low. So multiple boxes usually don't have to be constructed to find the magic box. Right now I am looking into obsidian 2 15s on the preorder would be right around my budget. Mach 5 18 would not be as loud. But would most likely have better sq. and spank many dual 12 setups on output.

No doubt cone area is a determining factor. However just becaue 2 brand a 12 inch subs have more cone area than 1 brand b 15 does not mean the 12s will be louder. I am trying to get 1 good sub instead of 2 ok subs. Generally a larger sub is a little easier in producing sound down low. So multiple boxes usually don't have to be constructed to find the magic box. Right now I am looking into obsidian 2 15s on the preorder would be right around my budget. Mach 5 18 would not be as loud. But would most likely have better sq. and spank many dual 12 setups on output.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif I dont know what you're talking about, mine is plenty loud

IXL is a good sub. You might want to look into a pair of sealed subs as well. A pair of Dayton Reference HF 15's would be nice...they can dig pretty low in sealed boxes and have low inductance and distortion for nice transient response.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif I dont know what you're talking about, mine is plenty loud
Not a lot of info on them out there that is not home audio. Mind telling a little about it? Maybe a mini review?

Thanks

mines the older ixl 18 but the newer ones have dual 2 ohm so you can wire it down for more power, mines only a single 4 and i've got about 600 goin to it or so and it gets crazy loud. A new one can be had for I think ~$220 which is a hell of a deal for a nice 18. You put it in a good box and I think you'll be very pleased with your end result. As soon as mine goes out I'm going to buy a recone for it and possibly add another to the mix. I know you mentioned budget and I think dollar for dollar you really can't beat this sub.

Thanks, one thing I read was on youtube. Something about them doing wonderful on very low hz, but not so good up top. Sounds like a box issue to me. But anyhow, do you have any experience with that? Definitely can't beat the price. Everything I have read on them is a sq sub with massive output. Looks like an adire brahma beater.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bugflipper

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
bugflipper
US
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date