07 Yukon Problems

UrbanSounds
10+ year member

What went Wrong?

4 months ago I installed a Double Din Kenwood Navigation, Two headrest with a second dvd player. Two JBL subs and an amp. And a viper alarm.

When installing the Head unit the lady didnt want to pay for the harness with the interface to retain the 12v and the door chime, etc. So I used a standard harness and used a relay and got the 12volt from the ign.

Everything worked fine and she was really happy.

However yesterday she called me and said her car wouldnt start and had it towed to the dealer since it was still under warranty. The dealer told her that the install was done wrong and all the tvs were running of the same power source and the computer went bad and its not covered by the warranty and its going to be $800.

So I called the dealer and asked what exactly was connected wrong and to what, and the guy told me all his tech. are busy and to call back later.

So who can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks

What exactly did they tell you... the only things i could see are either the voltage dropped low enough for the computer to fry or the way you spliced it some how caused it to short out. I really don't see any real way that that could be true though with out having any thing else in the car messed up and having it do it while the car is off. On thing i do know is that dealerships will say any thing to not have to repair damage. i would ask for a full explanation of what the problem is and post it up here and talk to other mechanics to see if they are just BSin the situation to get out of payin it.

So you wired all of the equipment to the ign wire? Or did you just use the ign wire to switch a relay that is connected to the batt?

You might want to list out all the equipment you had hooked up to the (batt/ign?) wire and add up the power too see what the potential max load is.

Where did you get constant for everything? I personally would not have done the install wihout the interface module no matter what the customer wanted because it is plain and simple right way to do things. As for your bcm issue the bcms in these vehicles are quite delicate so it is likely that something in your system could very well have caused the problem but without knowing the real details of the install I couldn't tell you for sure.

Here is a list of items I installed.

(2) 7" headrest pillows

(1) dvd player under the seat

(2) 12" JBL subs rated at 275 watts rms each

(1) 2 channel cruch amp rated at 600 watts rms

(1) Kenwood Double Din Dvd with Navigation.

(1) 1 viper 350 alarm.

I did the install on everything except the alarm. I used a standard AI harness 416. It has the constant on the harness but no 12v. So the person who did the install on the alarm made me a relay by the driver side kickpanel and I ran a wire to the Double din. From there the other two headrest and dvd were connected.

Im pretty sure it had nothing to do with the system. Because the alarm and system still works. but the car wont turn on. The lady (customer) agrees with me as well and thinks the dealer is just BSing her.

When I called the dealer I spoke to the supervisor and he didnt know anything. So I asked to speak to the tech that worked on the car and wanted to know exactly which cable was hooked up wrong, but he told me that all the tech are busy and to call back on monday.

?????

when you say it wont start, do you mean the vehicle will not turn over?

if everything is getting its 12v power source from the ignition, you know exactly where to trace your problem. Maybe the added components to the ignition is causing the alarm to activate and now allow the vehicle to start (assuming the alarm has that feature)?

Does the alarm have a starter kill in it? if the vehicle doesn't even try to engage the starter then i'm guessing that a relay could have gone bad and 12volts from the key cylender is not getting to the solinoid.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

UrbanSounds

10+ year member
UrbanSounds
Orange County, CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from