05 Legacy GT Teardown and Rebuild

jeeper07
5,000+ posts

Rebuilding&Reconstruc ting
First i have to rebuild the car, then i will begin on a full audio build. Im hoping to start audio by the beginning of November after my funds come back up a bit.

Car: I bought the car on 7/9/2011, the motor blew up on the way home from virginia to indiana on 7/10/2011. Needless to say i was pissed, depressed and didnt know what i was gonna do. Couple days passed and i got my head on straight took it to a local dealership with a price quote at $10,200 to replace turbo, shortblock and other stuff. The car is a Red 2005 Legacy GT with 58k miles manual transmission.

Me: Im new to subarus and turbos but not to cars. I have a pretty decent background on working on cars and modifying them (suspension, exhaust, audio, brakes,etc)

Plan:

400+ whp

Minor cosmetic mods

Coilovers

Full Audio System

and much more.

Parts List:

Final Mod List to Date:

ENGINE:

2011 sti short block -forged internals w CP pistons

Fast Motorsports FMIC

South Bend stage 2 HD Daily clutch

Deatschwerks Side Feed 1100cc injectors

Walbro 255lph fuel pump

CNT catless Down Pipe

GT Spec UEL Headers and Uppipe, wrapped

killerb oil pick up

Sti oil pump

Gates racing timing Belt

killerb pick up

1 step colder plugs

AEM wide band

tgv deletes

SS oil lines

perrin 22mm rsb

ARP Head studs

Perrin 3 inch inlet

Perrin intake

Grimmspeed BCS

Manley SS Valves

AutoSpeed Catback

Blouch 2.5xtr

Other:

Whiteline RSB

Avo RSB mounts

Kart Boy endlinks

Kartboy Short Shifter

Yellow Fogs

With thhe help of brum tonite we got the a good chunk of the hard part done, **** tubing is a pita. im hoping to have the motor out sometime this weekend or next week and have it looked at to see what all im going to have to replace or if i just basically have to start new. At the end of this im gona make a picture walkthrough of pulling our engines and putting them back in since i didnt find one in a quick search. Enough talk heres some pictures.

Only mods now is autospeed cat back.

IMAG0113.jpg

IMAG0114.jpg

time to get this motor out

IMAG0118.jpg

how we left it for tonite.

IMAG0131.jpg

More to come.

This was a dealer sale, he said he was going to try to help me but i doubt it cause he knows im 800 miles away and cant stop by and ***** at him every day. im hoping i can rebuild what i have with forged internals, if not ill start the hunt for a short block that can handle some power. Planning on new turbo, fmic, 1000 injectors, e85 tune, up,dp,and more.

Picked these up today, now we can really get that thing out.

IMAG0136.jpg

what have we here, or i guess what dont we have here.

IMAG0138.jpg

Got it on the engine stand and started tearing it down.

IMAG0142.jpg

i will do everything that i can with the money i have, first is getting it running with good power, second is making it look pretty. Speaking of pretty, what a nice collection of metal i found in the oil pan. Yes that is a sheered bolt.

IMAG0143.jpg

IMAG0144.jpg

IMAG0146.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
heres a teaser pic of what arrived today //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

IMAG0156.jpg

Well i still havent unwrapped the new shortblock cause i have no real reason to yet, however i did get one of the heads off the old block, i took off the one that was on the side the rod disconnected... look what i found upon removal, idk if or how ill be able to get all the shrapnel out to see how bad the cylinder walls are in this block.

IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

Finally have some updates and things going on the car which is a nice change.

South Bend Stage 2 HD Clutch and 1100cc injectors sitting ontop of my new CNT catless DP.

037.jpg

This thing is a monster i was not prepared for it to be so big (thats what she said)

029.jpg

Heres the intercooler ready for install tomorrow..

036.jpg

And very sadly this is the only thing ive put on the car since i bought it (oem floor mats since it had none upon purchase)

038.jpg

Today i also got my Fast Motorsports FMIC mounted, took a little massaging but its on and im very happy with the quality of it thus far.

061.jpg

058.jpg

Once i find out if the dealer is going to do what he said he was and give me some money back for this i will disclose his name/ business with a review.

heres some pics of more things ive gotten in

005-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

007-2.jpg

008-1.jpg

Got the Kartboy Short Shifter installed in like 20 mins which was nice. Also got the fuel pump ready to put back in once the proper o rings come. Did some trimming on the cubby mount to make it fit properly and got the old motor stripped the rest of the way so im ready to take everything to the machine shop once my freaking head studs come in. heres some pictures of the new short block, and the hilarious parts that came out of the old one.

003-3.jpg

005-3.jpg

019-2.jpg

022-2.jpg

023-2.jpg

Met up with a local guy today and ended up getting a Blouch 2.5xtr, 3 inch Perrin inlet, and a Perrin intake. Im not sure the Perrin intake will work on my car (from an STi iirc) but for the price i thought id take a chance and see. This completes my buying of parts minus fluids or gaskets and small stuff like that.

IMAG0196.jpg

I made it to the machine shop today as i got in my new manley valves and crank pulley so i had to drop them off. Walked in just as they had finished glass blasting the heads, had 6 bent valves in them btw. I also got my FMIC piping back in which Josh and Import Image got done in wrinkle black for me, ive only taken one out so far but it looks awesome compared to the original chrome/polished finish. Enough blabbering

IMAG0198.jpg

IMAG0199.jpg

IMAG0200.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

Ran the piping from the front mount into the engine bay and got the bumper trimmed to fit around the FMIC. Took about 10 tries of cut, fit, cut, fit, but it finally went on. I eventually plan on cutting out the lower center support of the bumper and glassing it so that its a nice big opening for the intercooler.

020-3.jpg

025-3.jpg

Final Mod List to Date:

ENGINE:

2011 sti short block -forged internals w CP pistons

Fast Motorsports FMIC

South Bend stage 2 HD Daily clutch

Deatschwerks Side Feed 1100cc injectors

Walbro 255lph fuel pump

CNT catless Down Pipe

GT Spec UEL Headers and Uppipe, wrapped

killerb oil pick up

Sti oil pump

Gates racing timing Belt

killerb pick up

1 step colder plugs

AEM wide band

tgv deletes

SS oil lines

perrin 22mm rsb

ARP Head studs

Perrin 3 inch inlet

Perrin intake

Grimmspeed BCS

Manley SS Valves

AutoSpeed Catback

Blouch 2.5xtr

Other:

Whiteline RSB

Avo RSB mounts

Kart Boy endlinks

Kartboy Short Shifter

Yellow Fogs

good job so far.. Idk what I would have done.. The feeling of getting a new car and driving it home.. I can only relate it to me getting my truck and having it only two months and then having it hail racket balls here and be able to do nothing but watch.. I had insurance though..

Hopefully drop the motor in on wednesday. It was a pretty ****** feeling ill tell u that.
without knowing these cars that well, any idea what caused it? no/low oil? maybe someone ran it HARD!! then returned it to stock? anything in the bay seem like it wasn't stock or like it was modified at one point?

low oil, spun bearing, rod knock, kaboom. Thing must have been eating oil like crazy cause i checked it before i left and less than 700 fairly easy miles later it was off the dip stick. I know it had an aftermarket intake and down pipe but was put back to stock and had the clutch replaced already and the cars only at 58k. All things i never would have known about until i took the car apart.

low oil, spun bearing, rod knock, kaboom. Thing must have been eating oil like crazy cause i checked it before i left and less than 700 fairly easy miles later it was off the dip stick. I know it had an aftermarket intake and down pipe but was put back to stock and had the clutch replaced already and the cars only at 58k. All things i never would have known about until i took the car apart.
Did you check for oil leaks before you bought it? checked where it was sitting etc? Cause if the dealer knew he coulda just kept filling it every so often but the pavement won't lie.. Sucks either way.. luckily seems you had enough finances in place to fix it and fix it better than it was

yea i dont think it was leaking oil... i checked under the car before purchase granted it could have been moved or what ever but i think i found the majority of the oil throughout the TMIC, up, dp, cats, etc etc

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.