03 Grand Marquis Question

LazyRider
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Internet
My car has been stuttering and shaking when I get up to around 40-50 mph. If I keep accelerating it stops shaking and runs ok. I have about 105,000 miles on it bought it with around 88,000 IRC so I'm thinking I most likely need a tune up because I doubt the previous owner ever got one. I took it to a shop and was goign to have them do the tune up and they said that the problem was a leak somewhere causing it to leak coolant. He said it was about a $500 fix. Now there is something leaking definitely from underneath the car around the engine but I was wondering if that has something to do with the car shaking and stuttering?

Hey, I know this is old but they have problems with the coolant leaking into the spark plugs. I have one, and it does the same thing.

What did it take to fix it? A new gasket? I gotta fix mine too. I just changed the plug/coil pack for now though.

Aren't you in CR too?

Had to replace it cost around $500. They sell kits to fix the cracks but I hear they just crack again. Ford knows about the problem and they now make them out of new material aluminum I believe. That's the only way to permanently fix it. You can buy the part off ebay if you want and install it yourself if you're up to it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02-03-04-05-06-Mercury-Grand-Marquis-Intake-Manifold_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem35a2ed192cQQitemZ230366714156QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

What I recommend is calling the dealership and telling them yours has a crack in it and they may fix it for free if you are persistent with them. It will save you money that way. And I'm in VA

I thought the 03 had the aluminum crossover for the coolant passage?

I had to replace mine on my 97 though as it had a plastic xover for the coolant passage. Except mine was $1200...

Mother fucker. Pretty sure I need to replace mine now too. What moron decided to stick plastic on this? I'm gonna grab on of the new aluminum ones off ebay I guess, and waste a Saturday changing it out.

I think I paid about $200 for a new manifold for my crown vic came with gaskets molded into the manifold and lifetime warranty which was very nice. Its not a hard job especially since the manifold i purchased came with instructions for replacement plus I had a chilton manual. The job took me a good 6 hours but I cleaned everything under the intake manifold when i replace mine plus put in new spark plugs and fuel injectors.

OLD thread i kno but if this problem is still going on its diffently is not cause of the leaking ...i bet my left testie ..lol but seriously its your torque converter slipping and locking up ..look it up called torque converter shudder ..i had it and i destroy'd my transmission ...feels like you riding on a rumble strip for like 2 secs

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.