Participant count
  • Participant list

chibahawk
10+ year member

oe squeezer
NYC
MTX Thunder 2150X

Rockford Fosgate 801S Punch

Okay I'm going to be running these two amps in my car. Now I read the specs for the MTX and it says that it operates 75x2 @ 4 ohms at 12.5Volts. Does this mean that some amps run at 12.5V and some amps don't? Can't seem to find what the RF runs at and what kind of difference does it make?

I thought all there was to know about amps was Ohms and Watts //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

You get more power with more voltage. When your car is at idle, your voltage should measure about 12.7v. With the engine on, it should read around 14.4v.

oh so basically my MTX amp is gonna pump more juice? I knew 14.4 was the norm which is why I thought when the amp said 12.7 it meant something weird..

yes, you'll have slightly more power. That rating means that the amp is capable of putting out that amount of power at 12.5V.

Your car at idle = your engine is running. Idle or high rpm - voltage should stay close (this is the job of the Regulator in the ALT) with zero load. At low RPM you may not get as much amperage output

As stated the amps have a some what unregulated power supply, anything above 12.5V will possibly get you more power. They rate the amp at a lower input voltage so you know that is the minimu you should expect from that amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.