Sealed or ported box.....RE SRs

Participant count
  • Participant list

Doola36
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
SoCal
Trying to decide which box should I use. I currently have a ported box with 2 10 RE SRs, but I also have 2 SRs coming in the mail. I am trying to decide should I keep my ported box running only 2 SRs or should I do the 4 sealed like I was planning on doing? Both set-ups would have a lpine 1.1000 pushing it. i like a variety of music.....Rap, Alternative, Old School, slow jams, rock n roll.....Hell I will even put on a few country songs.

So I need a few inputs on this decision.

Doola36

The sealed box would sound better for the music you listed, And if you went 4 subs sealedyou would have more surface area too IMO
Thanks for the reply. I am still trying to decide which way to go. At first I thinking of just keeping the ported box but now that I have all 4 SRs I am beginning to have second thoughts.

So is there anybody else who could chimp in on this comparison? Also the amp that I am going to be pushing the SRs is going to be a US Amp MD-1D or MD-2D.

I finally installed one of my SR's in my blazer. My first box was 2.2 cubes sealed. It was ok, I'm not much of a sealed fan but I will admit it sounded decent. My second box was 3.2 cubes @ 34hz with a big port (52sq in) and i have to say the sub came alive. Granted mines a 15, so ignore the box sizes but the sub overall sounded much better in the ported box.

Yeah, today I was out there playin around with them today and they do come alive. I was playing with my pdx 4.150 since I don't have a sub amp yet. Thanks for sharing.

it's all personal taste. Me, personally will admit it is louder in the ported box but the tight and punchy bass was still there.
Yeah, that is how I feel with my current set-up. I use to have a JL w3 ina sealed box and it did sound tighter compared to my ported set up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.