Pioneer 80prs vs Alpine 149

i to have been a fanboy of alpine. its the only brand i have had in like 20 years. but im interested in this thread for sure. as i have been thinking of getting the 80 prs as i want to go active on my setup .

lets do a pros and con list, that would be nice...

I'll do the Pioneer since I'm a fan

3 way active network

5v preouts

16 band L/R independent EQ

Auto Tune and Auto TA

2 USBs

SD card slot

28 bit DSP

Internal amp turn off. Display turn off.

wow that's it. i never use my buttons on my h/u anyway. i all way have the remote in my hand just in case there's a cop... lol

the more you talk about it the more i want it... thanks.

I'll do the Pioneer since I'm a fan 3 way active network

5v preouts

16 band L/R independent EQ

Auto Tune and Auto TA

2 USBs

SD card slot

28 bit DSP

Internal amp turn off. Display turn off.
Been using mine for a while now. And dont recall turning the internal amp off. Smh. Can you point me in the right direction to accomplish this?

Well I didn't think the 149 was being compared to the 80 I thought it was always the 9887 but anyway I've had both the 80 and the 9887 and spec wise and gadget wise the 80 kills it but purly based on sound the 9887 shits on it all day, the 80 sounds muffled and dull compared to the 9887 and this was a direct swap from one to the other same set up

I went from a 9887 to the pioneer and the difference in sound is very small with the pioneer getting the edge. I too switched out only the decks. I really like the 9887. I bought it when they came out and it has held up great. It is very sturdy and a great looking unit. The pioneer is really of a different era with built in Bluetooth, SD card, 2 USB ports, blue tooth calling works great. It just seems they sacrificed a little heavier build for the features which doesn't bother me if it holds up over time. I really like the alpine though. I won't ever get rid of it. I have a Nakamichi from the mid 90's which I think sounds better than both of them but lacks all the convenience features and I don't want to drag cd's around in my car. I use it in the garage stereo.

9887 Pros

-No extra gimmicks

-3 way active capable

-Tons of addons if you want them

-6 channel, 4V preouts

-5 band parametric EQ with 1/3 octave steps (20Hz to 20kHz) or 7 band graphic EQ (63Hz-17.5kHz)

-6db slopes from flat to 24db/oct

-Ability to turn off the internal amp when running active or using external amps

-Well built, not flimsy feeling or cheap looking

-Great sounding HU (when compared to other flagships of the era, ie: Eclipse CD7000, 7100, PRS880, PRS800, etc.)

-Time alignment is more accurate due to actual measuring and math.

9887 Cons

-Doesnt have useless features

-Limited EQ bands compared to the 80PRS

-Price point is still pretty high even for used models.

-Hard to find in good condition.

-Lack of built in bluetooth (comes in module form if it tickles your fancy)

80PRS Pros

-5v preouts

-3 way active

-16 band graphic EQ

-Bluetooth built in

-USB built in

-Aux input built in

-Automated time alignment for the lazy

80PRS Cons

-Cheap and flimsy feeling

-Pico fuse can and will die without warning even during proper installation.

-Lack of parametric EQ

-Automated time alignment is less accurate than doing the math yourself.

-Alot of useless features for someone just looking for bluetooth or iPod or active capabilities.

-Price compared to older active capable HU's.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.