Oldskool Rockford Fosgate Punch 800a2

smendez31

I have this oldskool RF Punch 800a2, right now I am using this amp to power up a 10'' inch kicker, but its the second one I destroy/blow up. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Now I want to buy to two 12'' inch sub woofers, any ideas which would be the best set up for this amp? I am thinking about two 12" CompVR. Any suggestions?

this is the amp btw...

23309395_1.jpg

At 4ohm bridged that amp pushes over 1000rms. It has an unregulated power supply, meaning more juice in, more juice out. Very strong amp. Id get 2 dual 4ohm and wire series for a total 4ohm load and bridge it. Thats the optimal way to run that amp. And get something that can handle at least 400-500rms each, otherwise you will keep blowing them

I've been browsing this forum for a couple of weeks now and have been able to find some great, useful information. Up till now I've been able to find the answers to my questions without even having to ask them. Anyways I also have an old school Rockford Fosgate, it looks to be of the same era of the one in the pic above, it's only a p200 though. I've had it for about 12 years and my brother had it for a couple before that.

My question is: I know it's a class a/b and they can run really hot but is there anything you can do to help cool it. It was powering 1 pioneer ts-w3002d2 12" sub, bridged, with the sub wired in parellel. In my unprofessional opinion it sounded pretty good. However when it really hard and low the amp would shut off and normally come back on after a minute or two. I have a different amp powering the sub now but I am concidering running the punch200 to my front end. I don't anticipate the same problem with my highs and mids but thought I'd put the question out there and see if anyone had any ideas on cooling the old-timer.

Also: anyone out there familiar with Exile. I'm in Oregon and the local car audio store here really pushes them as a local company with solid equipment. I guess a few guys from Phoenix Gold started Exile in Portland. Just curious if anyone knows if it's worth supporting a local business and picking up some of their gear or if it's crap.

Thanks!

well, a dual 2 in paralell is a 1ohm load. That amp is not 1ohm stable. (its not even 2ohm stable). I ran my 800a2 at 1ohm before, and it didnt cut out, but got extremely hot. This is NOT advisable. It will be fine at the correct impedence load

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.