Noob needs a lot of help

Participant count
  • Participant list
To lots of people here' date=' front stage components are more important than subs. To others, subs are the only priority. Just depends on who you ask.[/quote']
There is just something about the sound of bass... I just love it.

If the yellow RCA's are simply connecting the amps, then yes, you'll need to replace the Red RCA's. RCA's are what send the amp's information on what to "play" and send on to the speaker. Without them, the amp will not tell the speaker to do anything and remain idle. Make sense, sorta kinda?

On the + side, RCA's are less than 20-30$ and easy to do yourself if you can access wherever they start. Usually the back of the Head Unit. If a shop must do it, it'll be hard to charge too much for something of this simplicity.

And yeah, bass is fun lol.

If the yellow RCA's are simply connecting the amps' date=' then yes, you'll need to replace the Red RCA's. RCA's are what send the amp's information on what to "play" and send on to the speaker. Without them, the amp will not tell the speaker to do anything and remain idle. Make sense, sorta kinda?
On the + side, RCA's are less than 20-30$ and easy to do yourself if you can access wherever they start. Usually the back of the Head Unit. If a shop must do it, it'll be hard to charge too much for something of this simplicity.

And yeah, bass is fun lol.[/quote']

So to disconnect the battery it seems like all I need to do is take the negative terminal off the battery? As for running the RCA that should be something I can do right? I don't see why I couldn't if I learn how somewhere. What about cutting the plugs off and replacing them with new ones?

So to disconnect the battery it seems like all I need to do is take the negative terminal off the battery? As for running the RCA that should be something I can do right? I don't see why I couldn't if I learn how somewhere. What about cutting the plugs off and replacing them with new ones?
- Yup, disconnect the - batt terminal before messing with your wiring.

- You should be able to run RCA's. You'll have to remove your cd player in order to get to them, though. You may also have to remove one or more pieces of your interior to trace the wiring to the amp.

- Don't splice your RCA's.

As I said earlier; I'd remove everything. There are plenty of tutorials that'll walk you through reinstalling everything and it's nowhere near as difficult as you think. You need to get a good grasp on what exactly is going on with your equipment and removing it all is a hell of a good way to do that...

It is, but I'd take a nice set of comps, a 2 channel amp and a single W7 on a 500/1 over a pair of W7's and 2 500/1's in a second...
For sure. In a heartbeat for me ha.

Yup just take off the battery negative while youre working. And it should be possible to replace the plugs and keep the existing wires. Kinda ghetto, but i don't see why it wouldnt work if you were careful about it.

Replacing RCA's is nice and easy because they can just plug in, so no major wire issues. Just need access to where they attach. Not a hard DIY if you have the access.

Everything is easier than it seems. You just need some patience, the right tools, and the rest comes with trial.

Night all.

Goodluck. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

So I started to play around with the amps and subs today. As some of you guessed the RCA from the output went over to the input on the broken amp so no quick fix. I did manage to remove the broken RCA tips from the working amp. I took the broken amp out of the car but did not have the right sized tools to open it for pictures. I ended up stripping one or two screws so I stopped. My plan right now is to find a small electronics shop and see if they can do any repairs. I want to avoid car audio shops if at all possible. I am thinking maybe a guitar and amp repair shop might be able to. I am going to call one tomorrow. I live in Arizona if anyone knows of a good shop to call. I am having a hard time finding a small time shop with google. As some said the install seemed extremely sloppy when I looked close to how they had the wires going around the hatch of my car.

My plan on getting the working amp back and running is to just repair the RCAs that I broke. There is plenty of slack to use. I don't really care if it's ghetto I just want the quickest fix. When looking around I did find a pair of RCA plugs laying under some of the carpet. They weren't plugged into anything and I can't think of why there would be extra just laying around.

Have you tried putting the extras into one or both of the amps? Where do they originate?

Also, repairing RCA's is not recommended. And they are readily available for $15. Just food for thought.

Also, a guitar/amp repair shop could know how to fix something that simple.

Best of luck.

Have you tried putting the extras into one or both of the amps? Where do they originate?
Also' date=' repairing RCA's is not recommended. And they are readily available for $15. Just food for thought.

Also, a guitar/amp repair shop could know how to fix something that simple.

Best of luck.[/quote']

Yes I plugged the RCAs I found in but they didn't do anything. I couldn't follow them very far so I don't know where they came from. What is wrong with repairing the wires? Price is not the issue if they are that cheap I just doubt my abilities to run them through my car.

When repairing RCA's' date=' just make sure all connections are secure. I don't see the issue myself, though people frown it. Sorry I can't be more help with that issue.[/quote']
I had to take the working amp out of the car to get the RCA tips out of the jacks today. When I plugged it back in minus the RCAs no power light came on. I don't if the power light was on before I did this or not. Could the power light not be coming on because no RCAs are plugged in? I know I got the rest of the wires right. The 12v and the ground are in the right place. The tiny blue remote wire is back where it was and the wires going to the sub all the way to the right are plugged in again. Hope I didn't mess anything up on this one. This amp and sub was working before the flat tire last week so I am hoping I need to plug the RCAs in for it to light up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.