New to car audio, searching for opinions

YnotTony

So, thanks in advance to any contributors and I look forward to picking some brains. Please excuse my ignorance on subjects to be determined!

I am building a setup for my 2009 Malibu and I'm trying to find an old school JL 1000 (per my car-audio-educated homie's opinion - his system makes my brain jiggle) to use for my (3) JL12w3v2d4's.... or an equivelant amp. I am not hung up on the brands, as I have tried to do some research here on the forums and I just want quality product that isn't going to kill my budget.

So, in bullet format...

Replacing all factory speakers. I want my mids and highs to scream, but have a good knock when the subs are off.

Amp for the subs, brand is irrelevant.

Amp for mids and highs, again i care not about main stream namebrands.

My budget is not set in stone, albeit I mean that on the lower end. I have 2 young children, a mortgage, etc etc..... so this is just a project I will slowly build. If I come across items that really need to come home, so be it. No time frame, no budget.

If I can elaborate on anything, please advise. Thanks a ton for the responses and input. Looking forward to getting into these forums. Have a great day!!

Doc

JL and budget doesn't really go together
This ^^^ particularly not at MSRP.

That being said the slash series amps are quite nice and generally come up used at a fair price point.

I'd suggest to focus more on the fundamentals of a good install. Proper box design and placement and proper location and deadening for your fronts. This will make or break your performance.

From there brand is somewhat important since you'll want something that will perform as advertised, not fail prematurely, and hold resale value for if you ever want to sell or upgrade later.

I should elaborate. I'm not setting a budget. I'm not looking for the absolute top shelf stuff, but I'm not here to find clearance prices either. I'm soliciting input and opinions. Thanks.

These guys need a budget idea for each part of ur system. How much are you looking to pay for front speakers rear and amp ect. But what they will tell you is that the way you install the speaker is important. I too am used to just replacing factory speakers with something else. But what I learned is that putting sound deadening on the doors will make any speaker sound better.

You have plenty of choice. But they need an idea of budget, what car is it for, what kind of headunit you are working with.. For example if you want to spend between 100 and 200 on front speakers they will give you better options

I have infinity perfect components in front and they cost around 250$ and they're ok. I just learned about ppi components wich have great reviews and cost 350.

Also been reading on ppi amps. They're not as known as some names like jbl but they have great reviews and cost less.

You have plenty of options if you give a ballpark idea of price . Your not on a budget can mean 2k is the most ul spend or it can mean 900 is what ur comfortable with

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.