lms coil question

Yeehaw! Wednesday and I'm bored....

I think Mark's point was that within the bandwidth of a typical subwoofer, inductance is typically a small problem from an audibility standpoint. The roll-off from inductance is theoretically 6dB/octave with a corner frequency that falls well outside of the subwoofer's bandwidth. Of course, the further out of bandwidth the inductive corner is, the less impact things like inductance variation have. From here, we can talk about the limits mass can place on transient response: I know that Dan has said repeatedly that it doesn't but one must wonder aloud how mass can affect frequency response without affecting transient response. Mind you, XBL^2 usually has a leg up in both of these respects due to the small coil. The impacts of inductance and mass on frequency response are readily measurable but, depending on the driver in question, not within concern for many. We also have the related problem of too much bottom end in a vehicle.....

You mentioned above that there is no loss of B as long as the steel that lines the gap isn't saturated as the flux is focused or steered around the rebate. However, the flux density in the gap that is located beside the rebate is less than the theoretical maxiumum: if this were not the case, all XBL^2 drivers would be plain old underhung drivers and the BL curve would not be nearly as flat through it's stroke.

XBL^2 doesn't require a wider gap, either; in fact, the smaller coil usually means less rocking during high excursion (and tighter tolerances become permissible). It does, however, require a taller gap (top plate) which has its own problems.

Still, it is very important that we look at the final result of a product and not the individual pieces! For example, I have said in the past that I think the LMS approach is preferable for subwoofers while XBL^2 is preferable for midrange and fullrange applications; however, suppose a project like Kevin Haskin's Sicko-X: a driver with as much stroke that used an LMS coil rather than an XBL^2 sized coil would have such high inductance and length that its implementation would prove a bit challenging.

All theoretical applications aside, it is the final result only that should be compared.

And this is all an argument about accurate reproduction; as Nick alluded to earlier, most people prefer the exact opposite. Mind you, we're all using stereo recordings, too, so what the hell do we know? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Hi Kyle!

How about this.

Show me a real world frequency plot of the LMS driver in a car.

(....i've got a coil that somebody wanted a recone done and it is 3.2" long 4 layer...just a fyi)

I'd bet money that you will have a SHARP drop off above 55Hz or so.

There's a reason why we don't do huge coils like that, most of which is because many people do not have a very solid component system that will play down to 50-60hz with authority to keep up with a woofer of that nature...but whatever.

I'm not reading your book, i've had one of the woofers..i know what it is, and what it is not.

Ps: If you are only approaching the same motor strength as a daily gapped BTL with far more material than the BTL, by using a modded 4hp to get the Qts back down below .72... that tells me that you aren't doing something right.

Eh, i know nothing. All I do is spin records.

Hi Kyle!
How about this.

Show me a real world frequency plot of the LMS driver in a car.

(....i've got a coil that somebody wanted a recone done and it is 3.2" long 4 layer...just a fyi)

I'd bet money that you will have a SHARP drop off above 55Hz or so.

There's a reason why we don't do huge coils like that, most of which is because many people do not have a very solid component system that will play down to 50-60hz with authority to keep up with a woofer of that nature...but whatever.

I'm not reading your book, i've had one of the woofers..i know what it is, and what it is not.

Ps: If you are only approaching the same motor strength as a daily gapped BTL with far more material than the BTL, by using a modded 4hp to get the Qts back down below .72... that tells me that you aren't doing something right.

Eh, i know nothing. All I do is spin records.

diy%20tc%20sounds%20lms5400%2018%20pr%20200l%20fr.png

55Hz... unusable?

If you want put some transfer function or two as a result of a car/suv/truck/room or what have you, you can do the modeling or testing, its just the room acoustics. No two cars are the same.

That is not in a car, and it has 2 passive radiators.

We're talking about car audio, not room audio there chief.

I can slap a woofer with 250tm of BL in a chamber and make it play flat from 0-100Hz if you want it to....

LMS is not that superior than anything else...besides if you don't use it you don't have to use HUGE motors to get decent parameters at best using split coil. It does the same thing, you don't have the added inductance...and you've got MANY more coil impedances that you can choose from...

So less materials, less inductance, more choices for impedance...easier to get coils wound...less cost there as well...it goes on and on and on.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Kyle, as you stated in the first section of your post, I was simply stating what LMS was for the forum readers...nothing more. I suppose it was my preference sentence that tipped off the rest of your reply.
And actually Kyle, you got it kind of backwards. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

XBL^2 does NOT "throw away" B. You only lose B IF AND ONLY IF the steel lining the gap is saturated; if the steel lining the gap is not saturated, then the flux will move from the rebate TO the two (or more) smaller gaps. It's like putting a rock in the middle of a small stream - the flow of water goes around the rock, it doesn't just stop. I understand where you're coming from thinking that the rebate immediately looses B, but that's just not the case. The fringe field between the two gaps (XBL^2) tends to be a lot higher than the outside fringe field. And the presence of that field will tend to move the outside-the-gap field into the between-the-gaps field, which is, in fact, integrated.
Correct, my mistake, there is defiantly a strong conservation of flux density that that migrates to the two(or more) gaps from where its removed. It still is not as efficient if the steel was not removed because steel is not a lossless magnetic conductor, but I will admit it’s much less lossy than just throwing it away in as is the case with the LMS design (L is thrown away) and it makes sense that XBL^2 designs tend to be more efficient with a given motor diameter than LMS designs.

Also, even considering the 12.5 mm gap that you mentioned in your following post (the picture looks to be close to that), the SICKO project utilizes a 5 mm gap and our new Mag utilizes a 3.05 mm gap. I'm a little lost as to where you're referencing XBL^2 to have a "wider gap."

And while I'm on the SICKO reference, keep in mind that that monster manages to do 55 mm of one-way linear stroke with a 41 mm tall coil (just over 1.5" long)! Now, the SICKO is 41 mm one-way with a 1% drop, compared that to the 30 mm 1% linear threshold of the LMS which had a 38 mm total linear stroke. Coil comparison alone, the LMS is 60% longer than the SICKO, thus, higher moving mass.
Sure, higher moving mass (well.. the sicko is a 5” vc so its not quite apples to apples) but your argument could have well be made with any diameter vc. But I agree //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If sensitivity was the same, I could of course make the power compression argument.. there are advantages to overhung vc’s too you know….thermal compression is a major reason why planars sound so **** good at high volume. Subwoofers have indeed a long way to go to match planars lol…

So just for $hits and giggles lets compare the new Mag to the LMS. (Scary huh?!) The new Mag has a coil that is 18.4 mm long, yet has half the linear stroke of the LMS! So we've got 1/3 the length and 1/2 the stroke. If we had the same stroke - scaled up - we'd have 2/3 the length for the same level of stroke. Not to mention a much shallower driver.

Now, Mark, inductance. I would like you to reference the paper we have posted on our web site and forum located

here and then reply again. Are you saying that after reading that document (that shows with Klippel results that inductance DOES have an impact on transient response) that inductance does not have an impact on transient response?

Inductance is concerned with the diameter of the voice coil and the number of turns. Going with 8 layers of flat wound (as Kyle described) actually HURTS you from an inductance stand point! Doubling the layers means twice the number of turns, meaning a 4X increase in inductance.
My point is who cares about the transient behavior of anything, with mass/energy, everything that changes velocity/direction has a transient time. What does that really mean? .....

Ya I read that, and this is also a great paper on inductance http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/papers/vcinduc.pdf

The response affects the frequency domain and that is what you really hear. You can’t hear the current lag effects, much the same way you can’t tell something is out of phase expect when the SPL drops because of cancellation. But you can defiantly hear the affects when the lag prevents otherwise full amplitude within one period as is the case when the frequencies get higher and higher… ~first order low pass filter… that’s a direct SPL reduction and that’s why inductance ***** as you know. None the less a simple FR response can indeed show exactly the adverse effects of the inductive filter in a motor.

Keep I mind, I worked on the induction motor when I was at TCS… the design has since been patented and sold but I can’t talk about that… still being licensed and sold off to larger companies for major dollars and I’m under an NDA… when that gets finalized, I would love to talk more about the interesting lossy inductive properties of a motor, I studied that stuff for 2 years!

I look forward to the new mag and sicko for that matter… I’ll be for sure buying one of your mags //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I do like the design and I think it’s great for the community and headed in the right direction. Honestly , I can’t give you enough credit.

That is not in a car, and it has 2 passive radiators.
We're talking about car audio, not room audio there chief.

I can slap a woofer with 250tm of BL in a chamber and make it play flat from 0-100Hz if you want it to....
makes no differences. take any response from any speaker and put it in a car and you can sum the transfer functions up. The car has its discrete behaviors as does the speaker and the result is the sum. Every engineer i know measures speakers in half-space anechoic rooms or for a reason. Sure... room measurements are vital for final response, but thats more important to the EQ correction and placement.

I'm pretty sure 250Tm would fall all rapidly above 200Hz, and PR's have nothing to do with the upper end response.

You can't make any woofer flat in a half space measurements unless it is flat or you EQ it that way. In fact many woofers won't measure flat above 100Hz. Are you trying to tell me inductance only becomes apparent in a car?

In fact, here you go, a perfect counter example!

diy%20tc%20sounds%20tc-2000%2015%20ported%20270l%20fr.png

hey, even a smaller vc to boot! goes against a lot of theory in this thread :p

oh crap, i need to go back and read this thread to make my brain bigger.

Since I can't do the same with my penis without surgery //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Ah, well, its all good. If it sounds good to you, then who really cares? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Stang, you do make an interesting point though. I think I'll spend some time doing some response curves in car and observe the results (I can do this now that I FINALLY have my car system together //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif)

Best,

Mark

that basket has been used on more subs than just the LMS series //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif with the LMS coil.

makes no differences. take any response from any speaker and put it in a car and you can sum the transfer functions up. The car has its discrete behaviors as does the speaker and the result is the sum. Every engineer i know measures speakers in half-space anechoic rooms or for a reason. Sure... room measurements are vital for final response, but thats more important to the EQ correction and placement.
I'm pretty sure 250Tm would fall all rapidly above 200Hz, and PR's have nothing to do with the upper end response.

You can't make any woofer flat in a half space measurements unless it is flat or you EQ it that way. In fact many woofers won't measure flat above 100Hz. Are you trying to tell me inductance only becomes apparent in a car?

In fact, here you go, a perfect counter example!

diy%20tc%20sounds%20tc-2000%2015%20ported%20270l%20fr.png

hey, even a smaller vc to boot! goes against a lot of theory in this thread :p
Ok.

Explain to me then why a woofer with 200tm of BL and a Q of .017 would roll off at 200Hz...and a woofer with far less BL ~20 for this example, and a Q of .450 would continue to excel and not roll off above 200Hz? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I didn't say 0-200hz and above. I said 0-100Hz...flat.

And yes, it's possible without an EQ. All in the enclosure design and the brain behind the woofer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

tc3k101

5,000+ posts
Ω
tc3k101
Socal
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date