lms coil question

It's easy to say something has an amazing low end...when there is no 'upper end' or 'high end' to be seen above 50hz //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I just got the LMS basket assmebly for my TC2K motor //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I just got the LMS basket assmebly for my TC2K motor //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
that basket has been used on more subs than just the LMS series //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

The coil is "ugly" because of the variable density, which is what makes LMS...LMS. As the coil moves farther and farther out of the gap one of the ways to keep BL constant is to increase L (the length of windings). Thilo did a good bit of work to come up with the coil windings so that it worked out without too many hickup's in the BL curve. But having such a thin and thick coil means you have a very wide gap (as you can see from the pictures) and it also means you have a LOT of moving mass just from the coil. It's a rather lossy and deep (look at how deep all the LMS motors are) way to increase linear throw. I like XBL^2 better (less depth, lower inductance, lower mass), but that's just me. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif
If you need any more information hop over to DIYMA and do a search for LMS.
seems like everytime this conversation comes up, it becomes a war of tradeoffs.... first of all, as Nick said, its simply wound that way to create the linear BL effect. Thats what the "LMS" is.

But in fact, lms coils (production version) are actually wound to a max of 4 layers which is the exactly same wind as a standard voice coil, be it TC-1000, 2000, 3000, 5200 etc etc... 8 layer flat is about the same as 4 layer round, so just ignore that bit for now. The LMS becomes less efficient not because of a wider gap, but because coil cross section is removed from the middle to in fact lower the BL and flatten the curve. Moving mass is actually lower in LMS drivers than a non-lms TC counterpart, however this is irrelevant. Moving mass alone does not define sensitivity, ignoring cone differences, its really a function of the force to weight ratio. Same principals that governs pretty much everything else. So the reason LMS drivers are less efficient is because they have lower L, not a lower B from a wider gap. The gap is the same, and the B in the gap is the same too! Its a moot point really because its the same effect (except for a bit of inductance advantage on the LMS behalf) Less L or less B gives you less BL, but I just want to make that point anyway //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

the newer LMS-5400 and LMS-Ultra actually use a very efficient motor even with the lms voice coil. BL^2/Re of around ~180 which is just shy of a Fi BTL to give you an idea of the motor strength.. not bad to a motor that throws away almost half of its BL to linearize the curve. It actually works out exceptionally well in the 4HP platform because the original 4HP was over motored to the point of near un-useability(45Tm to be exact). Qts of 0.15 made it very hard to work with without massive EQ and voltage on hand... so the 5400 was perfect. Also inductance has proven to be a non-issue on the LMS woofers as the frequency response (true test of inductance filter issues) was flat up to 200Hz...) "Nothing above 50Hz" is quite incorrect. That may have been true for the first generation LMT which was very in efficient and inpratical up high because of the sensitivity (not inductance btw

Like LMS :: overhung designs, xbl motors are also less efficient than standard underhung designs too, and they carry their tradeoffs ... Good argument, you can alway fill in that part in the notch in the gap with steel and gain quite a bit of sensitivity in an XBL^2 motor by converting it to a std underhung... the xmax will go down, but thats the point right? I can do the same thing to an LMS just put a normal coil in the motor and get a normal overhung... sensitivity goes up in both cases and linear xmax drops, and distortion increase and dynamic prediction and modeling become less accurate... etc etc...

so technically Nick, you kind of got it backwards....

XBL^2 has the wide gap and throws away B

LMS has the normal gap and throws away L

But the appropriate way to say it would be xbl notches the gap, lms notches the coil. take your pick...

I will also arge that neither is better!

As a shallow mount design. the working displacement is the difference of your gap and coil. longer coil... deeper motor....or taller gap. Its the same distance any way you slice it. You can tuck and overhung coil inside the gap just as an underhung too. In fact Chad just posted a picture of one above.

xbl^2/lms.....not one is better/worse, they actually have quite a bit of differences on top of that too because they are underhung vs overhung, but I think they both work to do the same thing.... lower distortion, and they both succeed.

NDMstang65... lms woofers have low-ish inductance for their size, and I'm very shocked you don't like the sound of a lms woofer. because it really has no sound at all other than what you hear.. perhaps its the music thats the issue? lol

As would any linear woofer true to its word, its a lack of distortion. You can get good Qts and good sensitivity from an LMS woofer, or XBL^2 it may take a larger magnet, but i can tell you from personal expeirnce, nothing compares when done right. Sure it may be larger and more expensive, or otherwise it may have a poor QTS and poor sensitivity making it impractical for anything above 40Hz (for example)

But don't take my word for. Take this guys... he has listened to quite a few subs and has the measurements to prove it. His woofer of choice (the 5400 by a "landslide")

I will say this right now, I'm not trying to show its the greatest thing since slided bread, its got its own drawbacks... many of them, but don't just count out LMT because of what some competitor to TCS said 6 years ago when TC released its first LMT woofer... wake up and read results.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests/8144-subwoofer-tests-round-5-6th-october-2007-test-summary-read-me.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-subwoofers/6656-subwoofer-tests-fall-2007-a.html

final note:

You can take all the subject tests you want and subjectivity convince people that they should be subjectively listening to subjective music the same subjective way you would... I couldnt care less.. the results speak for themselves... and they "objective"

lmthtsub008.jpg
lmthtsub007.jpg

here it is in flatwound.

lmthtsub007.jpg

lmthtsub001.jpg
Chad, thats a 3HP gap.. 1.4" the LMT coil was designed for a 0.5" gap. its very important that the LMT coil gets matched with the gap is was modeled for. like XBL^2, its very specific or the results will be non-linear...

other than that... how are you doing? been a while. I have some new news for ya!

Send me an email

Interesting writeup Kyle //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I must admit, I was surprised and pleased at the weight the LMS coil actually had considering its enormous size and length //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

So basically we have one person who designed XBL^2 drivers, one who worked with LMS drivers, and one who designs standard overhung drivers...all of whom are representing or did represent businesses with those respected approaches. And guess which sides they argue on behalf of? lol.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each approach. Some of the above could be clarified but is more important to those who engineer the drivers than those who choose them; and more critical is the end result, not the topology used to help achieve that result.

For example, the LMS-Ultra I have is hands down the best single subwoofer I've ever used or heard. Of course, this is just one subjective opinion (although the LMS-Ultra holds up objectively as well) and I can't possibly tell you what you'll like. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

...And I also find that the term "inductance" when speaking about subs is simply over-rated and overblown. As Kyle mentioned, a simple frequency response of your driver will tell you what it is truly capable of producing.

As everyone here (including myself) admits that choosing which unit is better sounding over another is subjective and best left to the listener, to make statements that driver X "sounds better" than driver Y because it has lower inductance is, IMO, simply unfounded.

Happily, this sort of thing doesn't come up in this forum too often //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

seems like everytime this conversation comes up, it becomes a war of tradeoffs.... first of all, as Nick said, its simply wound that way to create the linear BL effect. Thats what the "LMS" is.
But in fact, lms coils (production version) are actually wound to a max of 4 layers which is the exactly same wind as a standard voice coil, be it TC-1000, 2000, 3000, 5200 etc etc... 8 layer flat is about the same as 4 layer round, so just ignore that bit for now. The LMS becomes less efficient not because of a wider gap, but because coil cross section is removed from the middle to in fact lower the BL and flatten the curve. Moving mass is actually lower in LMS drivers than a non-lms TC counterpart, however this is irrelevant. Moving mass alone does not define sensitivity, ignoring cone differences, its really a function of the force to weight ratio. Same principals that governs pretty much everything else. So the reason LMS drivers are less efficient is because they have lower L, not a lower B from a wider gap. The gap is the same, and the B in the gap is the same too! Its a moot Lpoint really because its the same effect (except for a bit of inductance advantage on the LMS behalf) Less L or less B gives you less BL, but I just want to make that point anyway //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

the newer LMS-5400 and LMS-Ultra actually use a very efficient motor even with the lms voice coil. BL^2/Re of around ~180 which is just shy of a Fi BTL to give you an idea of the motor strength.. not bad to a motor that throws away almost half of its BL to linearize the curve. It actually works out exceptionally well in the 4HP platform because the original 4HP was over motored to the point of near un-useability(45Tm to be exact). Qts of 0.15 made it very hard to work with without massive EQ and voltage on hand... so the 5400 was perfect. Also inductance has proven to be a non-issue on the LMS woofers as the frequency response (true test of inductance filter issues) was flat up to 200Hz...) "Nothing above 50Hz" is quite incorrect. That may have been true for the first generation LMT which was very in efficient and inpratical up high because of the sensitivity (not inductance btw

Like LMS :: overhung designs, xbl motors are also less efficient than standard underhung designs too, and they carry their tradeoffs ... Good argument, you can alway fill in that part in the notch in the gap with steel and gain quite a bit of sensitivity in an XBL^2 motor by converting it to a std underhung... the xmax will go down, but thats the point right? I can do the same thing to an LMS just put a normal coil in the motor and get a normal overhung... sensitivity goes up in both cases and linear xmax drops, and distortion increase and dynamic prediction and modeling become less accurate... etc etc...

so technically Nick, you kind of got it backwards....

XBL^2 has the wide gap and throws away B

LMS has the normal gap and throws away L

But the appropriate way to say it would be xbl notches the gap, lms notches the coil. take your pick...

I will also arge that neither is better!

As a shallow mount design. the working displacement is the difference of your gap and coil. longer coil... deeper motor....or taller gap. Its the same distance any way you slice it. You can tuck and overhung coil inside the gap just as an underhung too. In fact Chad just posted a picture of one above.

xbl^2/lms.....not one is better/worse, they actually have quite a bit of differences on top of that too because they are underhung vs overhung, but I think they both work to do the same thing.... lower distortion, and they both succeed.

NDMstang65... lms woofers have low-ish inductance for their size, and I'm very shocked you don't like the sound of a lms woofer. because it really has no sound at all other than what you hear.. perhaps its the music thats the issue? lol

As would any linear woofer true to its word, its a lack of distortion. You can get good Qts and good sensitivity from an LMS woofer, or XBL^2 it may take a larger magnet, but i can tell you from personal expeirnce, nothing compares when done right. Sure it may be larger and more expensive, or otherwise it may have a poor QTS and poor sensitivity making it impractical for anything above 40Hz (for example)

But don't take my word for. Take this guys... he has listened to quite a few subs and has the measurements to prove it. His woofer of choice (the 5400 by a "landslide")

I will say this right now, I'm not trying to show its the greatest thing since slided bread, its got its own drawbacks... many of them, but don't just count out LMT because of what some competitor to TCS said 6 years ago when TC released its first LMT woofer... wake up and read results.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests/8144-subwoofer-tests-round-5-6th-october-2007-test-summary-read-me.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-subwoofers/6656-subwoofer-tests-fall-2007-a.html

final note:

You can take all the subject tests you want and subjectivity convince people that they should be subjectively listening to subjective music the same subjective way you would... I couldnt care less.. the results speak for themselves... and they "objective"

Kyle, as you stated in the first section of your post, I was simply stating what LMS was for the forum readers...nothing more. I suppose it was my preference sentence that tipped off the rest of your reply.

And actually Kyle, you got it kind of backwards. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

XBL^2 does NOT "throw away" B. You only lose B IF AND ONLY IF the steel lining the gap is saturated; if the steel lining the gap is not saturated, then the flux will move from the rebate TO the two (or more) smaller gaps. It's like putting a rock in the middle of a small stream - the flow of water goes around the rock, it doesn't just stop. I understand where you're coming from thinking that the rebate immediately looses B, but that's just not the case. The fringe field between the two gaps (XBL^2) tends to be a lot higher than the outside fringe field. And the presence of that field will tend to move the outside-the-gap field into the between-the-gaps field, which is, in fact, integrated.

Also, even considering the 12.5 mm gap that you mentioned in your following post (the picture looks to be close to that), the SICKO project utilizes a 5 mm gap and our new Mag utilizes a 3.05 mm gap. I'm a little lost as to where you're referencing XBL^2 to have a "wider gap."

And while I'm on the SICKO reference, keep in mind that that monster manages to do 55 mm of one-way linear stroke with a 41 mm tall coil (just over 1.5" long)! Now, the SICKO is 41 mm one-way with a 1% drop, compared that to the 30 mm 1% linear threshold of the LMS which had a 38 mm total linear stroke. Coil comparison alone, the LMS is 60% longer than the SICKO, thus, higher moving mass.

So just for $hits and giggles lets compare the new Mag to the LMS. (Scary huh?!) The new Mag has a coil that is 18.4 mm long, yet has half the linear stroke of the LMS! So we've got 1/3 the length and 1/2 the stroke. If we had the same stroke - scaled up - we'd have 2/3 the length for the same level of stroke. Not to mention a much shallower driver.

Now, Mark, inductance. I would like you to reference the paper we have posted on our web site and forum located here and then reply again. Are you saying that after reading that document (that shows with Klippel results that inductance DOES have an impact on transient response) that inductance does not have an impact on transient response?

Inductance is concerned with the diameter of the voice coil and the number of turns. Going with 8 layers of flat wound (as Kyle described) actually HURTS you from an inductance stand point! Doubling the layers means twice the number of turns, meaning a 4X increase in inductance.

I like LMS in the fact that it does increase linear stroke. But I'd like to see it do 20 mm of one-way linear within 54 mm of total height.

IMHO XBL^2 is superior in terms of driver depth, lower inductance, and more linear stroke-per-coil height. Not to mention the split coil XBL^2 offerings (like the Parthenon)!

But then again, I'm bias.

Now, Mark, inductance. I would like you to reference the paper we have posted on our web site and forum located here and then reply again. Are you saying that after reading that document (that shows with Klippel results that inductance DOES have an impact on transient response) that inductance does not have an impact on transient response?
Hi Nick,

Yes, I remember the Adire paper - all too well. Please keep in mind that this paper's focus is entirely on midrange drivers and was meant to show how the natural increase of inductance begins to act as a 'break (and of course the inaccurate characteristics of the added mass method)" on impulse and frequency response.

Now, let's apply this to the extremely narrow passband of a subwoofer. Some how, for some reason, the greater mass of DIYer's out there have concluded that whatever this paper states must also apply to subwoofer drivers as well.

Yet, for some reason, there has not been any conclusive evidence supporting this. Yes, there are the Klippel tests performed on subwoofer drivers showing inductance values at various points of the driver's excursion. The DIYer's see these results, and if they are of high(er) value, they go "Oh My God! It has high inductance! It must sound horrible! As a sub it must have terrible transient response."

Do we know at what frequency this inductance is measured at? At the standard 1kHz reference frequency, the measurement is completely worthless. And you know why.

Please note, this is not the usual ca.com pissing match - I am not replying to your post to try to 'up' you, or anyone else. I see what I see, and this whole inductance thing with subs has gotten WAY out of hand.

m

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.