Is my local car shop morons or just trying to sell me something??

As an owner of a pair of Q's, I am offended that they have been reduced to a "1 note wonder" sub. lol

The Q has been the perfect woofer for me. They are exactly what I wanted. They sound nice and can get pretty loud when you want to crank them. I dont think you would be disappointed with it if you decided to get it.

And with the 1000/1, get a dual 1 ohm sub

Thanks alot man, I was about to order the Q and didn't know which to get. I'll get the dual 1 then.
Yah, when he said one note wonder, he was implying that it was for competitions only or something. Like it was only there for 60hz burps, and not for actual music. And then he referred to the price as proof that it would be a shitty sub (with the BP option was like 300). But then he tried to sell me a memphis 300 RMS for the JL amp, telling me to get 2 of them, even after I explained to him that if I got a 15, I'd only want one, for space issues.

I took my car in there today to drop it off, and I explained the big 3. He REFUSED to use 1/0 wire for it. I told him I'd pay for 1/0 wire and his response is "You do not need 1/0 wire, it's a waste." I then said "I'll pay for it, can you do it."

His response: "You don't need it, we're going to use 4awg".

Wow. After I get my car later today when it's done I'm going to find a new shop. This situation ***** //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I hope using 4awg isn't much worse than 1/0, otherwise I just wasted money.

First they didnt know what the Big 3 was and said you dont need it, then said that you dont need 0awg and that 4awg would be good enough.

Its your ride and if you wanted 0awg for your big 3 then thats what you get. They dont get to dictate what size wire you use for your vehicle. I would of walked out and said "I'll go somewhere else, where they will do it".

A long while back when I didnt have the tools to install my subs, I had a shop here tell me that they would not wire and install my subs to 1ohm and that my amp was not 1 ohm stable. They went as far to say that "they stopped making 1 ohm stable amps 3 years ago".

I said,"well if your not going to do what I want when I'm paying for it, I will take it somewhere else." They changed their mind real quick.

Oh dude, you're exactly right. If it wasn't for this forum I woulda never even known about FI, and I would probably be buying a JLW7 at retail or a Memphis MoJo for my amp. It would cost me 750-1000$ more and would sound probably around the same. Oh yah, his major selling point was that the Memphis Mojo has a 3 year warranty. I like a warranty like that on subs, but for 3X the cost of the sub, I could buy 3 brand new subs at FI if I needed to for the same cost.
No warantee would cover 'user error', and the vast majority of subwoofer failues are caused by exactly that.
Fi Q is a superior driver to the MOJO, and you are getting it for a fraction of the price. That's what I love about the local B&M's, they are so over the top stupid, crazy, and expensive, that it turns these sorts of decisions into no-brainers.

Just stick around here, we can help you install the stuff yourself.

I took my car in there today to drop it off, and I explained the big 3. He REFUSED to use 1/0 wire for it. I told him I'd pay for 1/0 wire and his response is "You do not need 1/0 wire, it's a waste." I then said "I'll pay for it, can you do it."

His response: "You don't need it, we're going to use 4awg".
What a load of crap. If they don't want to sell you 1/0 and install it, then they shouldn't be getting your money ever again.

I have the Memphis Mojos 15'' sitting here in the floor of my showroom and it is no where near $750! MSRP is only 499.95 and the 12'' is only 469.95. if you want one of these i can ship it to you and it will not cost you so much.

Haha, I'd def. chose JL over Memphis.
JL is high end.

Memphis is just in the middle. Neither really good, or really bad. JL is really f*cking good.
It's all subjective. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif

I, personally, think JL makes somewhat decent products, but certainly not the best. Oh, and they're phuking expensive for what you get.... imo.

Hey, cheese hold up before ordering. You have room for that 15" Q in your trunk? What kind of car and dimensions? Enclosures for 15's can get pretty big. Do you want to go ported or sealed?

Like someone said go for the dual 1 ohm coil sub if you go with a single sub. If you get more than one sub you will need a different ohm.

Talk to this guy and order a box from him. He'll do it to spec for the driver and the room you have in your car. This guy does awesome work and good prices and he's on the forum.

http://www.fishercustoms.com/

Try to figure out what size wiring you have to your amp right now. You can probably just throw that amp and sub/box right in yourself.

FYI 1 12" Q will probably really loud compared to most systems you have heard. My friend just got a 15" Q, it's unbearable to sit in the back when he has it turned up hahahah

a 1000/1 puts out 1000 watts rms all day every day if supplied with the correct electrical to support it.. and if you want to truly compare, a mojo15 online is ~470 shipped from woofersetc.com

id also look into Audioque HDC315, its a 15" sub that is rediculously good for the price Linky

i wouldnt even bother after the **** they gave you for the big 3.

arguing with a paying customer about work they're doing?

get the own in it and tell him what you're trying to do, and the fact that you want this specific thing done and they're are plain refusing to do it even those it will net him more money.

That Audioque looks about perfect too, for about the same price. Which do you think would be better going for 1 15". Both the Audioque and the FI Q look similar as far as handling the JL 1000/1. Which would sound better/be louder do you think? Or are they pretty close to the same? I'm just thinking about the FI Q cause I haven't seen a bad review for it, and it seems to be what I'm looking for as far as a 1 15" setup.
Thanks for the link, the choice is now between these 2.
the hdc315 needs more power to get going. So off the amp you have i would say the fi q is your better choice. If you had more power i would lean to the hdc315.

**** man ***** that this is happening to you.seems like it happens alot. When i was 16 and wanted me first system, i went to a local shop, they tried to take advantage of me because i didn't know anything at that time. they tried to sell all there expensive stuff telling me its the only thing that will work. i told t them ill think about it and went and found another shop, had them install me a sub amp package into my car, then once i got my next car which is a 99 grand prix i joined the forum here and transfered it from my old car to my new car. took alot of reading to learn how but it was worth it. how it all works out for you.

Hey Cheese, there are roads that lead out of Columbia ya' know...LOL! Being in the middle of the state means you can go to most anyplace you want in a couple of hours. Check out this part of the forums to get a handle on who does well installing in Mizzou:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=84

Fill 'er up, head on out and see if someone is smart enough to take your money while delivering the order the way you want. Columbia sounds like Numbnuts Central for audio.

Rick

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.