I have $2500 and a new 2010 Mustang GT

You are doing the right thing. You are dropping a lot of money into this car and you want to make sure that the end result will be worth it. I would shop for weeks if thats what it took. Measure twice, cut once applies to buying a system as well, but use different terms. You only want to spend the money to purchase and install, not purchase, install, and correct fvckups...
It is easy to get dazzled by looking at the installations and listening to the systems but I made myself a promise to wait at least a week and I am shooting for 2 weeks before I make a decision. To be totally honest I have many options now and an more confused than ever on what to do?

You can easily do a 7'' driver in the factory 8'' location and put your tweeter in the 6x8 location if you wanted to.
Check out my build log to see what I am talking about: http://caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449813
I like what I saw on your 2006 Rustang. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif You did some great work on your car and you never mentioned if you were happy with the way it tuned out? Would you do it over again or would you have done something differently? Do the speakers coming out a bit bother you?

That's because you are, and it's a good thing to do. I interviewed several installers when I wanted to have some wiring installed into a car I cared a lot about. Everything worked out well as a result.
DS Autosports gave you some good advice. The shop you link'd inspires confidence.
Yes they inspire confidence but they only change out the stock speakers they think are a problem. They will add speakers behind the rear view mirror for imaging and soundstage (they have a patent on it), a 10 inch woofer into a very small space in the trunk and turn off the rear speakers so it does not cancel out any of the sound that is being created up front. They may do all of this with only adding 100 watts or so...

They say every car if different and more is not always better. Sounds great but I am not sure how I feel about them yet? $2200 and they use my stock speakers?

I just bought on 05 gt and I am doing an install as we speak. Change out the head unit there is no benefit to keeping it. It is also very easy to change out. Do 8's in the doors. The air space is .41. Do a high quality 6x8 or a pair of 5 1/4" component set (where the 6x8 is). Rear that is up to you! sub boxes are a little tedious to build but since a shop is doing it who cares!
My build:

H/U - Pioneer AVH-P4000dvd

Front - Boston Pro60

Front subwoofer - Kicker RMB8's

Rear fill - Kicker one way 6x8's

Front amp - Kicker kx800.4

subs undecided I have a pair of kicker l7 12's and a kx1200.1 but I want better sq.

$2500 is a lot of money. In addition this car is very easy to work on so the labor costs should not be very much. Is there a brand that you biased to?
Changing out the head unit for me means I lose Microsoft Sync and that is a great new feature that was added in 2010. I will not be changing the head unit. If I went your route I would be concerned with what speakers would fit into the same area without sticking out?

I had 3 car systems that had MB Quart speakers all the way around and loved them but I have no idea how they are these days? I also used Orion amps and usually 2 8s for lots of mid bass or a single 10 cut off around 80. I realize I am likely dating myself here but at 41 I want a solid system that punches out strong mids, clean highs and tight bass. I listen to mostly rock both new and old. I would not be opposed to having a sub by JL Audio?

got a ford focus useing the stock hu with a soundstream prosser sounds pretty good with just the stock h/u
Which model processor are you using?

Go with an Audison bit one to keep the stock system and keep Sync. I'm guessing you don't have the Electronics Package right? Just regular Shaker 500, no touchscreen right?

If this is correct, you'll need the stock HU to keep Sync. Just grab a portable navi if you really need it.

I have been looking into a 2010/2011 GT myself. I know I would get the Electronics Package, but either way I am going to use a bit one to tie into the stock system. As far as speakers, I will probably use my Audison LRx5.1k that I already have. Do 8s in the doors, 4" midrange and 1" tweeter on the A-pillars. OR, 8s in the doors and 5.25s in the 6x8 location and 1" tweeters on the A-pillars.

I was thinking about going all Scanspeak or all Morel or all Dynaudio, a few companies that make some high quality 3-way set ups with 7/8/9" midbasses. Then two 9" subs IB off the rear deck. If you want some more info PM me. If you wouldn't mind bringing the car up to NorCal, Sound Innovations is one of, if not the best shop in the area. I worked there for a bit, and let me tell you their work is awesome and Ernie, the owner, will try and work with you within your budget.

But, you should know that a $2500 budget for a 3-way set up including a processor and labor, won't get you that far with a nicer shop. That would probably get you your front stage done, but it depends on how you want to attack it. With some 8/9s out there, you might be happy with just those in the doors, and not even want to bother with a sub.

Go with an Audison bit one to keep the stock system and keep Sync. I'm guessing you don't have the Electronics Package right? Just regular Shaker 500, no touchscreen right?
If this is correct, you'll need the stock HU to keep Sync. Just grab a portable navi if you really need it.

I have been looking into a 2010/2011 GT myself. I know I would get the Electronics Package, but either way I am going to use a bit one to tie into the stock system. As far as speakers, I will probably use my Audison LRx5.1k that I already have. Do 8s in the doors, 4" midrange and 1" tweeter on the A-pillars. OR, 8s in the doors and 5.25s in the 6x8 location and 1" tweeters on the A-pillars.

I was thinking about going all Scanspeak or all Morel or all Dynaudio, a few companies that make some high quality 3-way set ups with 7/8/9" midbasses. Then two 9" subs IB off the rear deck. If you want some more info PM me. If you wouldn't mind bringing the car up to NorCal, Sound Innovations is one of, if not the best shop in the area. I worked there for a bit, and let me tell you their work is awesome and Ernie, the owner, will try and work with you within your budget.

But, you should know that a $2500 budget for a 3-way set up including a processor and labor, won't get you that far with a nicer shop. That would probably get you your front stage done, but it depends on how you want to attack it. With some 8/9s out there, you might be happy with just those in the doors, and not even want to bother with a sub.
I will check out the Audison and yes I got the unit with the Shaker 500. I never buy the Nav systems for my cars because they date the car 5 years from now and never provide updates for the system the way the cheaper Nav units do like Garmin. If I did by one it would need to hide away so I could not see it if I was not using it. That is just me...

I know $2500 is not alot of money for a professional system and install but I knew if I did not put a cap on it when dealing with people it would get out of control fast. In truth I do not have a cap if I like what I see from the installer. Thanks for sharing your set up goals for your future Mustang. I will PM you and pick your brain!

If you have to keep the stock H/U get the Audison bit one as mentioned earlier. It is expensive though. If you don't want to pay for a processor you could always use an Audiocontrol EQS with line level inputs.

MB quart is definitely not what they used to be. The doors will accept up to a 3 1/2" deep driver. I was looking at the Morel mw265's and Kicker ssmb8's.

With a pair of good 8's in the door you wont have to invest into much of a substage. One 12" will be extremely adequate. Just make sure it has a lower fs, such as an Infinity kappa perfect.

If you have to keep the stock H/U get the Audison bit one as mentioned earlier. It is expensive though. If you don't want to pay for a processor you could always use an Audiocontrol EQS with line level inputs.
MB quart is definitely not what they used to be. The doors will accept up to a 3 1/2" deep driver. I was looking at the Morel mw265's and Kicker ssmb8's.

With a pair of good 8's in the door you wont have to invest into much of a substage. One 12" will be extremely adequate. Just make sure it has a lower fs, such as an Infinity kappa perfect.
What are yout thoughts on the JL Audio CleanSweep? I will need to read up on the EQX Trunk Mount Equalizer with Crossover. After looking at their page it was not looking promising, that is too bad because when they came out they had some great speakers. I love Infinity kappa's are would have no problem building a system around their speakers but again I need to see what is hot now...

I really like the idea of 8s in the door that will hit hard with one 12 in the rear. What are your thoughts on the JL Audio 13 made for the 2010 Mustang in the truck? I think it is called a PowerWedge? I do business with Polk and can get their stuff very cheap but not sure about the quality.

I just got a call back from Reus who said he would agree to my $1500 price but he would need the money up front and he could not get to the car for 30 days. Why does this make me feel uncomfortable? He said he needs the payment right away because of the LA Autoshow deal. I want the system but I do not want to pay for something up front in this type of business climate where companies are going out of business everyday.

I would image the cleansweep is a good unit. I have not tried it nor have I owned any jl electronics.

If you can get Polk stuff get the sr6500's. they are phenomenal I have owned those and do recommend them. They make "plates" for the 6x8 in that series. Try this link;

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/speakers-systems.php#sr

Then have the shop build a box in the trunk with a polk SR12. Or go with the JL. I like JL but I would personally rather have polk.

The MM840 momo 8" sub MIGHT fit in the door I couldn't find the specs to be sure

what kind of sound are you looking for.....thats one of the most important aspects of building your system
I would like a system that hit hard and sounds great and takes up very little room. In a perfect world it would also be inexpensive. Discussing all of this is really helping me get a feel for what I want to do.

I would image the cleansweep is a good unit. I have not tried it nor have I owned any jl electronics.
If you can get Polk stuff get the sr6500's. they are phenomenal I have owned those and do recommend them. They make "plates" for the 6x8 in that series. Try this link;

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/speakers-systems.php#sr

Then have the shop build a box in the trunk with a polk SR12. Or go with the JL. I like JL but I would personally rather have polk.

The MM840 momo 8" sub MIGHT fit in the door I couldn't find the specs to be sure
**** is this a cool forum. I could pick up all of the stuff directly from the Polk warehouse and get it all at the same time for very cheap.

Reus sounds kind of fishy. Is he buying the equipment now at a cheaper price? Hence the upfront payment. No reputable company SHOULD need money up front unless they need to buy materials.

The polk 8's wont fit they are 4" deep. They call that shallow I guess.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.