First build, need tips and tricks!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sebaslegrand
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hello guys,

I'm new to this forum and I'm a very enthusiast sound audiophile and I love doing research for countless hours on the reviews and specs of multiple sound systems. Not long ago, I decided it was time for me to build me a decent car system, which I started doing buy buying my front speakers and my 4-channel amp for my aftermarket rear subs that weren't changed by myself.

Please rate my rig, and I hope I made a good choice, and I'm soon going to buy a subwoofer and a monoblock amp for it too, and a capacitor because I'll have 2 amps, but I don't know much about that yet, if I could be enlightened on how this works I'd be very happy!

So this is my rig.

Front door speakers :

Polk Audio MM651 (2)

Rear :

Sony xPlod (Don't know more about them. Were there when I got my car)

Speaker amplifier :

Soundstream Tarantula TX4. 440

Head Unit:

Sony XploD CDX-GT260MP

WILL POTENTIALLY GET...

Subwoofer:

Polk Audio MM1040DVC

Monoblock Amplifier :

SOUNDSTREAM PX1.550d

Now I need to know...

How to I go about getting a capacitor and how to I use it? I only know I need one if I plug 2 amps. That's all I know. Also, is this build good? Any improvements I can do to it? I will eventually change my rear speakers too, don't worry, just don't have the money yet, but soon. I already have bought the front speakers and the 4-channel amp and I don't want to return them, so basically for the sub, any suggestions?

Thanks again guys! I'll be checking this thread often today for answers!

~Sebastien

P.S : I wanted to post the link to the items but since I'm new the forum restricts me so sorry //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

It's not HUGE audiophile gear, but for the budget, I guess this can be way better than the stuff I have now. I'll be upgrading little by little over the years, this is my first build. My goal is a more audiophile oriented system later on.

And what is the "X" number of post you're mentioning?

Thanks

if you want audio file equipment i would try to sell what you got ,and start over.there are many people on the forum that can steer you in the right direction

I listen to Rock and Metal and I've read multiple reviews that said that Polk Audio was master for the ranges of sounds I would need. Can you guys care to explain?

nothing really ,just a lower line product.when you say audio file people here thing hertz,audison,zapco, cdt,morel,rainbow,arc audio,equipment in that nature.very high end

Yeah ok, sorry about that misunderstanding. I don't have 5000$ to put on my system, something like 600 to 700$ maximum, which I already spent 300 for Speakers + amp. So considering these criteria, whats the best thing I'd get for this price for the genre of music I listen to?

Also, my car is an old '92 Saturn SL2, if that helps. It rattles and it's annoying, but when I crank the volume up, I don't hear it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

get rid of the sony speakers ,put a decent set of components in the front,polks in the back,50 -75 watts rms 2 channel for the components and run the rears off the deck.as for woofers look on here for used ,you'll get better woofers for around the same or a little more than what you are going to pay for the polks at a store.also no cap ,not worth the money and they dont work,do the big 3 in instead it will help more.

I'm not fluent in Audio vocabulary, you're going to have to explain these things to me lol... I will get rid of the Sony speakers, don't worry. I stated so in my Original post.

Also...

I can't put polks in the back, I think my car rear speakers are 6x9, not sure... anyone can check or know, with my car model? Saturn '92 SL2.

What's "running the rears off the deck" ?

I'm also buying my stuff on eBay used and whatnot, not in stores. I'm not paying retail for these polks I got.

What's doing "the big 3" ?

Thanks for your help.

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

It doesnt take $5000 to have a top notch system. You just have to learn how to shop and what is value
I was just exaggerating a bit, but you get my point, I can't make something awesome with 700$. If there's a possibility of doing so, tell me what could be done for that price point?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.