DB Drive PLW15D2 VS Audiopipe TXXAPX15B

Oldbass38
10+ year member

I'm going deaf
I've found both of these subs for about the same price (Around $125 each). Can you please list the pro's and cons of each? I'd be running 2 of them on my SAZ 1500D.

Of course if there is something else out there that would be even better at the same price please let me know!

The DB drive looks like a solid sub, have had no first hand experience with it though. Looks like it may have a small motor with a plastic piece to make it look big, though. Uses an RE style basket.

The audiopipe subs will get loud on only 1500w, much more efficient than the DB drive, but another major factor is the APs are D4, and the DBs are D2. Ill say blow for blow, the DBs will get louder in that setup, mainly due to coil config.

i sell both the reason the plw's can be had cheap is there are new subs out for 2010. both are good subs. the db's have a 180oz mag if that tells u any thing. tuned low ap's tuned 40 and over db"s. my $.02....

The DB drive looks like a solid sub, have had no first hand experience with it though. Looks like it may have a small motor with a plastic piece to make it look big, though. Uses an RE style basket.
The audiopipe subs will get loud on only 1500w, much more efficient than the DB drive, but another major factor is the APs are D4, and the DBs are D2. Ill say blow for blow, the DBs will get louder in that setup, mainly due to coil config.
Hmm...So you're saying dual 4's will get louder because I can run my amp at 1 ohm? "Assuming" my eletrical was strong, wouldn't the dual 2 ohms be even since I'd be at a .5 final load?

i sell both the reason the plw's can be had cheap is there are new subs out for 2010. both are good subs. the db's have a 180oz mag if that tells u any thing. tuned low ap's tuned 40 and over db"s. my $.02....
So if I understand you correctly, you are saying that if I tuned low, you like the AP's but higher tuning you like the Db's? Which one is "more" of a SQ type sub?

Hmm...So you're saying dual 4's will get louder because I can run my amp at 1 ohm? "Assuming" my eletrical was strong, wouldn't the dual 2 ohms be even since I'd be at a .5 final load?
He said the DB's will be louder. Also, box rise comes into play so the lower you can wire your amp the better off you are. Get D2's.

He said the DB's will be louder. Also, box rise comes into play so the lower you can wire your amp the better off you are. Get D2's.
Ahhh...Blame me for being a bad reader! I totally misread that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I forgot to mention something about the magnet...I've done some reading about magnets and their size doesn't always mean it's a better speaker (I do realize that is more rare though). Did you mention the magnet size of the DB (180oz) because it's bigger than the AP's (150oz) so that you think it's a little stronger?

Magnet weight can be negligble in some cases. The DB drive motor is covered by plastic, where as the APs is not. The AP has a stout motor, 3" coil, vented bumped pole piece and etc. The main problem with choosing a sub these days is you cant see the whole thing.
http://caraudio.com/forum/subwoofers/435659-up-close-personal-new-audiopipe-txx-15-a.html
Nice little thread of the up close shot of the AP....It looks like it's pretty well built....I think I'm leaning more towards the AP now....The only thing that would persuade me otherwise is if it's not very musical....It will be in my daily driver and I care about sound quality. For example...I do NOT like the sound of Kicker L7's....Too muddy to me...

someone asked about mag size on db thats why i said something. i have experience with both subs and on 3x+ rated power. there both good subs for the cash. i would say the ap will sound better...

i had the db drive plw15 they will get loud but i got rid of them after a week for the orion hcca15s after getting a email from db they said the plw are good for 850rms all day and i was pushing 1100 to them the company that sold them to me swore they 1000rms and even if they were 850 it was better to over power them than to under power them. i was like yea rite so when i burn the coils up they blame me and say im sht out of luck. i say go with the other ones but good luck in your pick

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.