db drag street stock build in the 2 door geo metro

akadj
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Well, all the power and grounds are done previously in my street MAX build. This was mostly buildingg a ton of different type of enclosures and rotating them around. Thought I would share some of the pictures here!

At first I wanted to go into street stock 2k class so I was building for 2 12" Atomic Quantum custom dual 1ohm.

The box was 4.12 cubes before any displacement

I tried this box up, back, and forward. Then I went on to change the port length from 6" to 9" to 12" and found what was the best for SPL, and the least amount of box rise.

So on to the next box!

I seen a lot of European boxes like this, so I figured I'd give it a shot, I ended up doing the same tests forward back, and up... Changing port lengths and was down in score ever so slightly, so onto the next box!

So I was really hoping this one would have been the one I was waiting for, the one that would be the best and I could call it quits.. Nope, down almost 1db.

Every time I tested SPL I also clamped to see how much box rise I was getting and how much power I was using so I could track down which box was loudest at a 1000 watts regardless of how much I had to turn the amp up to get a clamped 1kw... And then some where along the line I thought I should just go into the street stock 1kw class since most of my testing had been a clamped 1100 watts to 1300 watts.

I took about a week off from testing, and decided that I would like to try something with my Atomic Apocalypse 8" woofer.. LOL this was a crazy idea I had while thinking about church pipe organs and how the pipe is has set tuning to it with a given length.. So I started calculating and then I was off getting supplies.

The box was tiny.. Like 0.15 cubes after displacement because the 4" tube was going to be sooo long in order to get anywhere near 50hz to 60hz...

Yes, this port is over 10 feet long! It didn't do to bad, it did play lows and some highs. But I was hoping for more out of 1300 watts than 136db. I will say I had such a blast building this little box and was so excited to see it completed, I think I just had to high of expectations for it.

Soooo onto building a new box for 2 12's but this time smaller than the last bunch, around 3.5 cubes before displacement but with the same subs up and port up design as that had been the best set up so far. Port had to be a little smaller mouth opening as well to keep the frequency the same.

My score went down, but so did the amount of power because box rise was getting higher.. So when I turned it up and clamped the same power I got the same number.

So I took about a month of from testing. Even though I'm not testing it I'm still thinking and trying to figure out what I can do different. Then I came up with the next design and had to try it out asap.

[/uRkw

I think this one looked cool as ****! And it actually turned out to be the second loudest set up I had, again raising box rise and lowering spl, but I had the head room in the amp to turn it up and clamp 1kw with the score still hanging around the same.

Then while I was looking at it, it dawned on me... Street stock is only 1kw and onle ONE WOOFER!! ahhh I totally forgot and was into raising spl and keeping the power down that I forgot the basic rules.. So with one day before the competition I had to try and some how figure out with the best box I had, how was I going to use one woofer... I've got a ton of gear around my place.. 6 - 18's 4 - 15's 8 - 12's 2 - 10's 5 - 8's 10 - 6's.. It's just an explosion of woofers in my garage. But I knew that the 4.12 cubic foot box was way to big for a single 10 or 12.. But the box height was a bit small for 15".. So with the wood I laying around I Frankenstein the box to make one for a 15" woofer to stay into street stock 1kw.

20150617_130909_zpsog9jldfe.jpg

Then I start adjusting the port length and try moving the box so its sub up and port back, or sub forward and port up.. And find that when I have the sub up and port back on low power its louder but when I really turn it up and get the port breathing it lower spl, due to the port being right against the hatch.

So I open up the end wall of the port and add more length inside the box to try and help it load against the side wheel well.

And then I'm off, its loud. I get like 6 hours sleep and I'm headed to my first show of the year.

Now I have to rebuild it, and see how else I can get a gain in spl.. I want to try one of my 18's but don't know if I have the right amount of available room. Last night I got another crazy idea like the 10 foot long port and the weird angle box.. See what happens, I only have 4 days this week then I'm off for a trip until 6 days before the next event.. No time, just no time... Oh well iI'll figure something out like I always do. I'll post pictures when I do get something changed

And I did get a new Atomic Super X series 15" woofer. This woofer almost 12" in mounting depth and is just massive at about 70lbs

I'm still in the works of testing it and breaking it in to losen the suspension.

I built a couple of slot port boxes to test as well.

This one is around 4.5 cubes with 82sqin port. I've just opened up the port to 110sqin but don't have any pictures yet.

Still a lot of testing to do, and my termlab magnum is in the mail and will be here soon.

And yes the car is louder with woofer back rather than forward, but I couldn't get the box size I wanted with it facing backwards.

Yes I also went to another db drag, a triple point certified event.

There's also 3 more shows in two weeks from now that I will be going to. And one of them is another triple point certified db drag show.

So I built a new box to try.. Sub is on passenger side and port up on driver side

But it wasn't as loud, so I went and modified the old box, made the port a few inches bigger and extended the port quite a bit.

It was a lot louder so I took it to world finals.

So I finished qualifying round sitting high in the standing but anything can happen!!

Some testing the day of elimination rounds

Managed to take home some hardware.. I went over power violation in elimination round and ended up with 6th place.. I know the trophy says fourth lol they miss placed my sixth place plate for the trophy.

I did get rid of the car and now have started a new build in a 1994 Ford Ranger ext cab

So far I'm not doing anything worth talking about lol.. Barely over the 144db mark.. I need to do a lot of work to get back to where Iwas, let aalone where I want to be!!

So far I'm not doing anything worth talking about lol.. Barely over the 144db mark.. I need to do a lot of work to get back to where Iwas, let aalone where I want to be!!
I'm tuned it I'm also working on my ext. cab Tacoma currently with 1 10" on 1k in the low 140's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have any photos of your current setup... I'm still in early tests just using boxes I have laying around from my Metro but they are not working. I'm going to try and build something this weekend, I'm thinking 10 cubes and a couple of 18's

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.