Attempting to install a sound system for the 1st time!!!

is not that i want to be contradictive because i cant be. I have no experience doing this. but i am just loooking for a basic set up and that i can buy locally. I dont even have a credit card so im trying to work with what i can reach

is not that i want to be contradictive because i cant be. I have no experience doing this. but i am just loooking for a basic set up and that i can buy locally. I dont even have a credit card so im trying to work with what i can reach
You don't have a bank account? If you have a bank account, you have a debit card, and you can use that as a credit card. I told you the 8 gauge wiring won't work. And neither will the 6 gauge. I linked you to the 2 best wiring kits and they're probably cheaper than whatever is at best buy, and they are undoubtedly a dozen times better. You can always buy a "gift card" credit card at the local stores like Vons or CVS or Walmart and use that. Which is actually what I'd suggest doing. Because then you could buy whatever you need to online. And it'd be much better equipment.

Point of the matter is, Best Buy is one of the worst places for car audio, with mediocre prices. If you want to get decent equipment with great prices, that you won't have to replace down the road... then either use your debit card, or get a "gift card" credit card, and look at some of the equipment I've suggested.

The stuff you're asking about at Best Buy just isn't good. It's not good. It's poorly made, it sounds mediocre, and it is over priced. Even at $50 a speaker, it's just not worth money, because all it does is make noise.

If you're not open to considering something better, then just buy that stuff up and be happy with it. It will make plenty of noise and you can convince yourself it's just fine.

ok you guys i made up my mind i am going to take this slow and get the right equipment piece by piece.

so today im starting off trying to find the remote wire any ideas?

i have the same car and unit as this guy according to him you have to tap into a wire

but i couldn't understanding very well. I have a digital multimeter i brought from work

Get a 4 gauge wiring kit, its 29 dollars and comes with everything. Or if you're just going to buy best buy **** just get the 8 awg and call it a day.

The remote wire is the wire that sends a low current 12v signal to tell your amp to turn on, so the amp is only on when the car/HU are on.

Any aftermarket HU you want to buy should have this, the color will depend on the HU. All you do is strip the wire on the harness and twist on your lead, you can simply tape it or you could use a twist cap. I would buy some of the twist caps for HU install.

Never having seen it you may be like, "but what about (fill in the blank)???" Just do it lol, and everything will seem so simple once it is done.

Sound Quest makes good budget wiring kits. ebay is the place to buy wire/misc. wiring for cheap.

wow that was fairly ease its the yellow wire coming out the harness.... now to tap into that wire what would be the best thing to do? I was thinking i could get a small wire nut from work and use that or just plain tape?

wow that was fairly ease its the yellow wire coming out the harness.... now to tap into that wire what would be the best thing to do? I was thinking i could get a small wire nut from work and use that or just plain tape?
wire nut..then electrical tape over the wire nut and down onto the wires about the width of the tape or so..

wire nut..then electrical tape over the wire nut and down onto the wires about the width of the tape or so..
Si. Use a wire nut or cap or whatever you wanna call it, and tape over it. Sometimes I've had the caps fall off before and then I go to pull my HU and the live wires touches a ground and blows stuff up... it's a hassle.

Now I have one more question about matching sub to amp:

Lets say for example your amp handles 500W RMS power x 1 @ 2 ohms

if you have two speakers that handle up to 250 rms, will the power be divided by two

250 rms to each speaker?? that is wiring the two to output a 2 ohm impedance

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

sciontc2

10+ year member
sciontc2
Washington, DC
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from