Amp worked for close to 2 years, smokes one day at low volume (Gets Interesting)

Gxp123

So I have a Boss CE 4800w amp powering a power Akoustik mofo 152x that I have been using for about 2 years now. However one day while i was driving a heard a pop and hissing noise coming from the negative battery terminal on the amp. I tried re-wiring that terminal and what ended up happening is it would play for about 10 mins and then eventually it would lose power and start to smell again.

What I did next was reground the cable to the amp, and it turns out the ground was very loose. After regrounding it and checking the ohms of the ground, it read close to 0 so I assumed that the location was fine. I reattached the ground cable firmly into its socket and then bolted it back onto the metal sheet. I turn the sub back on and bam, it works again. I play the system at full power for 20 mins and it works fine with 0 drops in power.

Here is where things get interesting, I leave the car for two days sitting (because it is a weekend) and I turn it on monday morning and suddenly the amp is in protect mode, and it wont even turn on. I rechecked the ground cable and it was fine, I even checked all the wires plugging into the amp and refitted them. The thing still would not budge.

So i ordered another Boss CE 4800w monoblock and I installed it the same way I did the first one. And guess what, the amp WORKED. It tuned it and set the gains and then after two weeks of no problems, this amp decides to one day not turn on and go into protect mode. So this is where I am now. I have no clue what is going on because I haven't changed the wiring at all since two years ago and it worked fine until very recently.

Some other things i have done is test the voltage from my battery (approx 14v) and unplug all the rca and speaker wires to the sub. Still the thing wont budge. Im kind of out of options. Any and all advice would be appreciated. If you need pictures or more info dont hesitate to ask.

Make sure all the coils on the sub are still good. They should each have resistance close to 2 ohms. I don't want to rag on your equipment, but this is the reason why no one on here buys power acoustik or boss - deceiving specs and absolute lack of reliability. Are you able to get money back for the 2nd amp still? If so, I urge you to. First, of course, check the resistance of both of your coils.

I can possibly check that but wouldn't unplugging the sub wires and rcas with the protection light staying on mean nothing is wrong with the sub? Besides, the sub has had 0 problems and the problem occurred at next to 0 volume

I can possibly check that but wouldn't unplugging the sub wires and rcas with the protection light staying on mean nothing is wrong with the sub? Besides, the sub has had 0 problems and the problem occurred at next to 0 volume
No, the amp is probably damaged already. At this point, I'm trying to have you figure out whether the sub is bad so that you don't keep throwing more amps at it and frying them. If you've gotten 2 years out of that equipment, you should consider that getting your money's worth. Check the coils!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.