Amp Shorting out Infotainment Screen?

Chris Morton

CarAudio.com Newbie
I took my 2017 RDX into the dealership because the infotainment screen quit working, thinking this would be covered under my extended warranty. They’re trying to tell me the amp I installed almost 2 years ago is the culprit. They’re saying it caused a ‘surge’ and blew out the screen. All other audio components are working. Radio, cd player, everything.
I don’t see how this could possibly happen because the amp isn’t actually connected to the head unit at all. All I have is the power coming off the battery and I have a line-in converter that is spliced into the factory subwoofer wire to pick up the signal. Again, no connections or harness at the head unit. Opinions?

I don't see how that could happen but It will be up to you to prove it. Anytime you mess with anything in the loop it's considered fruit of the poisoned tree. Did they say specifically how that happened i.e. the amp or the line converter? Get a second opinoin, go to local stereo shop, TV stations w/consumer watch-dogs, things like that. I can't see how it could be detrimental to the screen as there isn't anything flowing back to the HU from the amplifier.

Ive never had an extended warranty worth a crap. Its always a battle with those people and usually not affiliated with the dealership.If its not a triple a roadside event like a tire or 2 gallons of gas. Best luck with those jokers. Your vehicle is a 2017 model. Its 2024 now 7 years. Electronics like these dont last forever man. And as well.Any modifications are not warranted either,even splicing into a electrical harness or any other wiring of the original. You are at a loosing battle here. Ive been there myself, and worn myself out at it. most dealerships will warranty power train up to 7 years like dodge, but you still have to pay extra fee these days. Most only have a 3/36k unlike Huyandi with a 10/100 prob the best warranty in the market today,and really fairly decent vehicles than most. But read your contract, you will find it. save a purchase another unit. you may be able to find a decent used one on the Bay or at a local yard to save some funds. maybe even then only a 30 day warranty if one at all. A dealership sees any aftermarket item on the vehicle, the warranty is VOID.

They satire it in the movie The Incredibles, but it's sadly true. Insurers will do anything they can to take the money and never pay it back.

I had customer whose car we did full upgrade to. New turbos, exhaust, injectors, intake, boost control, fuel system control. The works. He had to get a warranty repair on the trans (known defect), and he paid us to remove all the parts so the warranty would be honored, then put them all back on when the warranty work was done. Still came out well ahead of the game.

If you ever need to get a warranty repair, do whatever you can for that car to be BONE stock when it rolls into their shop. Not even a wheel/tire upgrade. They'll ram it right up your backside if it keeps money in their pocket.

They satire it in the movie The Incredibles, but it's sadly true. Insurers will do anything they can to take the money and never pay it back.

I had customer whose car we did full upgrade to. New turbos, exhaust, injectors, intake, boost control, fuel system control. The works. He had to get a warranty repair on the trans (known defect), and he paid us to remove all the parts so the warranty would be honored, then put them all back on when the warranty work was done. Still came out well ahead of the game.

If you ever need to get a warranty repair, do whatever you can for that car to be BONE stock when it rolls into their shop. Not even a wheel/tire upgrade. They'll ram it right up your backside if it keeps money in their pocket.
This is correct. Those insurance /extended warranty people dont want to pay for anything that isnt listed on the contract, of which to most is almost impossible to understand just what in fact is warranted and covered. The contracts are so complicated to read and understand and yet, written in a way to not cover much of anything to be honest. Loop Hole City

Thanks for all the advice. Ultimately, I was able to get them to honor the warranty contract. It took a lot of back and forth and I received quite an education in the process. I think they figured out that I was not going to let it go so they finally decided that it wasn’t worth it.
Their first tactic was to blame the amp, but I was able to finally make them understand or at least place doubt that it wasn’t.
The next tactic was to say that the warranty company wouldn’t cover all the repairs and I would still have to pay $900 for a $1200 repair.
I decided to contact the warranty company to find out why. Turns out they use Alldata to assess how many hours this job takes. Alldata stated 1.3 hrs, dealership used their own assessment of 4 hrs. Also, labor… warranty covers is $125 per hr. Dealership charges $235 per hr.
I found out this labor price is negotiated between the warranty company and dealership management, knowing full well it won’t cover what the dealership actually charges per labor hour. So, the dealership tries to pass that shortfall on to the customer for them to make up the difference (shady practice).
I had to review the contract and it states that Alldata has to be used for labor hours and that parts and labor are covered. I had to tell the dealership that I wasn’t going to pay to make up the difference that they negotiated with the warranty company for labor and they had to abide by the contract where it states to use Alldata. They’re fixing my car under warranty now, which I’m sure they hate.
In short, make sure you take aftermarket parts off, even if you’re confident they’re not the issue and read your contract and hold them to what it states. They’re counting on you not being informed.
Again, thank you all for taking the time to help with your replies. I hope this can help someone in the future.
P.S. when you find yourself in the finance manager’s office and he asks if you’d like to purchase an extended warranty… punch him in the eye.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...