4 E8's 2008 Ram, LEDS & Plexi. (Old Build log)

kylediablo
10+ year member

17 & certified
Well awhile back my friend wanted 4 e8's in his chevy silverado, i have since bought that truck from him and he got a dodge ram extended cab. i have built boxes for these before and they are a BIOTCH. i knew that without fiberglass the 4 8's probablly wouldnt fit...so i procrastonated doing it because after a month of glassin the inside of my box, it got annoying. well he decided to go to a local shop (who think they are know-it-alls and are the best) and got a bid becasue he knows i hate them and it would promt me to build his box. They first started off by saying there was absolutly no way the 8s would work without taking the back seat out. then they asked the question of what brand the subs were, and when he said Sundown e8 they responded with " well here we only sell quality products, no off brands"...ironicly the name of the shop in sundown a&v lol. well this pissed me off so i got to work and decided i would do it for his graduation present, and to show the shop whats up lol....

RT001.jpg

before pic.

RT008.jpg

taped everything off for the glassin

RT004.jpg

the box was to be built by making a master template of the shape of the buckets under the seat, and then from there i would use a flush trim bit in the router to make more plates that would serve as the bottom, middle, top and trim panel for the box. so basicly it will be a bunch of perfect layers.

RT009.jpg

RT016.jpg

RT020.jpg

then i made him help me lol he slaved over the tin foil hhaha

RT021.jpg

RT022.jpg

then i layed down 2 layers of matte, once it was dry, i popped in out and added a bunch more layers till it was around 1/2'' thick.

RT027.jpg

i sanded the top build up down smooth so that when i added the nextt plate to it it would be even.

after the next plate was added, another coat of resin was applied to the entire structure to seal it, then i filled each side up with water to find the volume. one that was achievd, i made both sides equal using blocks of mdf.

RT028.jpg

then i added the top and found an exact location for the holes to be symetrical on both sides.

post 2

RT029.jpg

RT030.jpg

RT031.jpg

RT033.jpg

RT035.jpg

then i routed the trim panal plate and routed out the holes of ware the woofers will go the same as the baffle board( used a jigsaw on the baffle because my router jig will only do 8" and larger circles) then i put the woofers in and traced them to find the exact placement. then i used a 9 1/2" circle template to make the circles larger so that they will be semi-fluch mounted and will have 1/2" gap for the lighted plexi to show through.

RT039.jpg

i primed and sealed the baffle board around the woofers and int he middle ware a plexi window with my decal will go. i then painted it metallic silver so that the leds will reflect off of it.

RT040.jpg

RT042.jpg

RT044.jpg

RT045.jpg

i used a rabbiting bit to notch out 1/2" x 3/16" around the woofer cutout on the bottom of the trim panal to allow clearance for the frosted plexi inserts i made. the woofers will mount on these. i also used a strait bit to make channals on the underside to run the wires for the LEDS in. (looked pretty cool but forgot to take a pic)

RT046.jpg

i frosted the plexi becasue it gives it more of a glow all around.

and here it is, all done //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif (minus my decal that will come later)

RT048.jpg

RT063.jpg

RT067.jpg

RT069.jpg

RT071.jpg

RT075.jpg

RT077.jpg

RT068.jpg

lol it looks really nice i cant wait to see how it sounds. they will be amped off of a diamond 1100.1 with knu wiring.

..and yeah thats a beer in his hand lol its graduation nite we had to have fun

I like that...very clean and better than a pro. Please tell us what that shop said after you proved them wrong //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I like that...very clean and better than a pro. Please tell us what that shop said after you proved them wrong //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
lol thety really didnt say anything, they just kinda looekd at it and were like umm i wanna hear it lol. but on that camaro build i jsut posted up they got really pissed. the guy came up to him and was like wtf dude i see how it is lol

lol thety really didnt say anything, they just kinda looekd at it and were like umm i wanna hear it lol. but on that camaro build i jsut posted up they got really pissed. the guy came up to him and was like wtf dude i see how it is lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.