Noob needs a lot of help

Participant count
  • Participant list
You have nice equipment. Kinda sad to see it not at its full potential. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
Like said' date=' The red plugs are RCA's. You can get a whole new set of them for ~15$ or so.

Or, you could take the plugs from the "non-functioning" amp and plug them into the "functioning" amp. The signal is coming from the same source. So shouldn't make a difference.

If you can find someone local to help fix the broken amp, and it really isn't major surgery, it could be around 20$. To ship it to JL, I'd estimate 30$ shipping round trip plus whatever they charge you.

Best of luck.[/quote']

I would love to look for help locally but I am not sure how. I would definitely be pretty cautious meeting someone online with all this equipment and my car. Like I said I would like to learn how to do some things myself. I have never been happy relying on an audio shop to do my work. I really dislike going to them actually. I would like to make these repairs some type of on going weekend project for however long it takes. Also I suppose I made my money situation sound worse than it is. I can afford around 50 bucks to get this stuff working. I just think any type of repair work done by a shop would surely be out of my range.

The RCA's on the "non-working" amp are yellow //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
RCA's come in many different colors. But they all do the same thing. Put the Yellow wires into the spots that the red wires were in' date=' and see if you get your "working amp" up and running again while you try to get the other repaired.[/quote']

That is exactly the type of info I need. I am that new that I did not even know that I will try that tomorrow morning. This should hold me over until I can hopefully learn how to tackle the input problem. Once I do that I just need to learn how to run the new RCAs to the amp that will no longer have them and then all should be good.

Another easy question. If the yellow wires are my RCAs on the broken amp, what are the yellow wires currently on the working amp?

I would love to look for help locally but I am not sure how. I would definitely be pretty cautious meeting someone online with all this equipment and my car. Like I said I would like to learn how to do some things myself. I have never been happy relying on an audio shop to do my work. I really dislike going to them actually. I would like to make these repairs some type of on going weekend project for however long it takes. Also I suppose I made my money situation sound worse than it is. I can afford around 50 bucks to get this stuff working. I just think any type of repair work done by a shop would surely be out of my range.
Well, i then suggest contacting JL about fixing it if they will. And getting a price quote. Also, some smaller electronic or "speaker repair" shops might not rip you off as bad as some local car audio shops. Also, google will be your best friend for "how-to's".

The working amp should still be fine if you put the yellow RCA's where the red ones were.

*I can't remember when i've used this man ""s lol.*

OP, you need to take everything out of the car and go from there. If the broken amp can be repaired for a reasonable price, that's cool. If it turns out to be an expensive repair, you should use the functioning amplifier to power one of those w7's. You could then sell the other w7 & the damaged amplifier. They're worth enough that selling them would be beneficial. You could use the cash to upgrade your front stage with a pair of budget components and a nice little 2 channel amp. Then you could have everything reinstalled by someone with a little knowledge.

There's no shame in running a single subwoofer...and adding some amplified components would make your system a hell of a lot nicer. That's what I'd do if I was dealing with this situation myself.

JL Audio: Products

This shows what wires go where on that amp.

The Yellow wires on the working amp are in the output section. The input section is what broke, needs to be replaced by the other yellow wires, or by new RCA's.

It's quite hard to know how everything is hooked up from a few pics. But these are my best guesses without being able to get my hands on it and trace the wires to source, ends.

I really appreciate all of the help I am getting. You are being very patient with me. One step at a time I guess is the easiest for me so I don't feel over my head. Tomorrow I am going to try plugging in the non broken RCA's. When I get time I will disconnect my battery and take the broken amp out. Is it easy to open up? I will take pictures with an actual camera not my phone. Post the pictures in the amp section. See what advice I get. Possibly look for a small audio shop around town. Once that is done I think the hardest part for me will be running new RCAs to the amp that wont have them. Thanks again I really appreciate all the helpful advice I am getting. Maybe one day I will learn how to clean my install up.

JL Audio: Products
This shows what wires go where on that amp.

The Yellow wires on the working amp are in the output section. The input section is what broke' date=' needs to be replaced by the other yellow wires, or by new RCA's.

It's quite hard to know how everything is hooked up from a few pics. But these are my best guesses without being able to get my hands on it and trace the wires to source, ends.[/quote']

Every answer brings new questions. I know you can't tell me for sure but where do the output wires possibly go to? Why doesn't the broken amp have any output wires?

Every answer brings new questions. I know you can't tell me for sure but where do the output wires possibly go to? Why doesn't the broken amp have any output wires?
My guess; The broken RCA's are coming from the head unit & the yellow RCA's are running from one amp to the other...

I really appreciate all of the help I am getting. You are being very patient with me. One step at a time I guess is the easiest for me so I don't feel over my head. Tomorrow I am going to try plugging in the non broken RCA's. When I get time I will disconnect my battery and take the broken amp out. Is it easy to open up? I will take pictures with an actual camera not my phone. Post the pictures in the amp section. See what advice I get. Possibly look for a small audio shop around town. Once that is done I think the hardest part for me will be running new RCAs to the amp that wont have them. Thanks again I really appreciate all the helpful advice I am getting. Maybe one day I will learn how to clean my install up.
Not a problem, why we're here. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Lastly, at an audio shop i would ask them to check things for you, but do not buy anything until you know exactly what the problem is. Unfortunately most shops work on commission and would sell you a comb to brush your teeth.

For now, try to be patient and learn what needs to be done before doing anything major.

Best of luck. You can PM me if you have any other questions.

OP, you need to take everything out of the car and go from there. If the broken amp can be repaired for a reasonable price, that's cool. If it turns out to be an expensive repair, you should use the functioning amplifier to power one of those w7's. You could then sell the other w7 & the damaged amplifier. They're worth enough that selling them would be beneficial. You could use the cash to upgrade your front stage with a pair of budget components and a nice little 2 channel amp. Then you could have everything reinstalled by someone with a little knowledge.
There's no shame in running a single subwoofer...and adding some amplified components would make your system a hell of a lot nicer. That's what I'd do if I was dealing with this situation myself.
Certainly an option I am sure people will lol at this but at least one speaker in the car is blown out. Probably has been for a long time too. I think I will first look into the possibility of fixing the amp. If things turn out to be too difficult I may look into selling the amp and sub. I just really don't want to do that but I won't rule it out.

Certainly an option I am sure people will lol at this but at least one speaker in the car is blown out. Probably has been for a long time too. I think I will first look into the possibility of fixing the amp. If things turn out to be too difficult I may look into selling the amp and sub. I just really don't want to do that but I won't rule it out.
To lots of people here, front stage components are more important than subs. To others, subs are the only priority. Just depends on who you ask.

Yeah' date=' that'd be my guess too.[/quote']
So if this is the case switching the good ones to the good amp will accomplish nothing? Well I have been living with this problem for upwards of at least a year and a half. I suppose now is as good as any time to take this opportunity to learn something. I will see what I can get done tomorrow and possibly post some pictures of the inside of the amp. I will try to look at all of this as a positive experience and go one step at a time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.