Starting a System from Scratch - $1500 budget

tscbaccord

Guys,

I'm back in the market after a long while and it seems since I last researched this the players have changed (and multiplied). I just bought a 2007 Honda Accord and I'm dying to change out the factory speakers and add something nice and tight. My first system was an Accord with Alpine HU, MBQ fronts, Infiniti rears, Pioneer 10s, and a Precision Power amp. I just got out of an Audi A4 with an Alpine HU, Focal fronts, Infiniti rears, an Image Dynamics subwoofer, and a Directed 5 channel amp. So hopefully that gives you an idea of the class of products I'm comfortable purchasing.

The only thing I have left from that setup is the IDQ12 D2v2.

I'm looking to purchase:

- a pair of 6.5" components for the front (or 5.25" since I keep reading that there are very few 6.5" components that fit "right" in the Accord) even though the stock speakers are 6.5"

- a pair of 6x9s or 6.5s for the rear (I see that a lot of people convert their stock 6x9s to 6.5s

- a 5 channel amp. I'd like to have one amp to power this entire system. Or should I go with a good 3 channel amp and let the rears run off the HU?

THe car has factory navigation installed so I'm not wild about replacing the HU - I've read that this OEM head unit is actually manufactured by Alpine so hopefully that counts for something.

I'm more into sound quality than anything but I do like some nice tight thump. Favorite music stretches across the board from Top 40 to Rap to Country to Acoustic. I'd love to hear your recommendations and comments. I'm thinking the breakdown will go as follows:

fronts - $300

rears - $150

amp - $500

custom sub enclosure - $250

wiring and installation - $300

The other thing that confuses me is the wide variety of pricing you can find ont he same products. How can I find the same amp for $600 on one website and $300 on the next? Is everyone comfortable buying these products from non-authorized retailers at 50% of MSRP?

Thanks in advance.

Go all MB Quart //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

PAB 1200.1D

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-MB-Quart-PAB-1200-1D-Mono-Amplifier-Pab1200-1d_W0QQitemZ270163952587QQihZ017QQcategoryZ64570QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

295 Shupped

PAB 4100

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-New-Pab4100-MB-Quart-PAB-4100-4-Channel-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ270163956077QQihZ017QQcategoryZ39739QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$235 Shipped

QSD 216

http://cgi.ebay.com/MB-Quart-QSD216-Component-System-6-5-6-1-2-QSD-216-NEW_W0QQitemZ300149097075QQihZ020QQcategoryZ32819QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$300 Shipped

2 x RWE304

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3170

$220 shipped

Knukonceptz 1/0 Wiring kit

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KLM-AK0

$60 + ship (once its back in stock)

That leaves ~200 for additional wiring an an enclosure. More than plenty.

Bridge the 4-channel to the QSD's. They love power. Forget rear speakers, you don't need em. Definitely install it all yourself. It's much more worth it if you do. You are so much prouder of your system.

If you want to save some $$ but still have a rockin system, get the PAB 2100 for the amp and PCE 216 for your front speakers. That ought to save you a couple bills.

I subscribe to the KISS formula of systems. I say go for a nice 5 channel. The RF Power1000 25 to life can be had on Ebay new at a ridiculously low $510 - $530 dollars shipped. More than enough power for a setup. I would go with using the ID you have still and put money into a nice frontstage/midbass. Get a nice set of 6.5" comps for the kicks and then some 8" dedicated midbasses for the doors or 6.5-7" if you don't have the room in the doors for 8. Skip rear fill. BJfisher can make you a killer enclosure for a good price.

COMPS

Rainbow Powerline CMX 265 Kick $330 shipped (get them from an authorized dealer here on the forum)

** or **

Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS $269 shipped

COMP AMP

Alpine PDX-2.150 $250 shipped

SUB AMP

Alpine PDX-1.600 $317 shipped

Those amps are tiny, but powerful (usually birthed at more than rated).

And yes, forget the rears for now. With a proper and strong front stage, you shouldn't miss it unless you have a true surround sound processor. If you want rears (Pioneer REVs would be a decent choice) after you get everything installed, get them and run them off the HU to start. If it's still not to your liking, then upgrade to the Alpine PDX-4.150 if you want to do an amped 4 speaker install.

With your ID sub and for under $1000, that would make for one sweet sounding system, IMO.

Guys,
I'm back in the market after a long while and it seems since I last researched this the players have changed (and multiplied). I just bought a 2007 Honda Accord and I'm dying to change out the factory speakers and add something nice and tight. My first system was an Accord with Alpine HU, MBQ fronts, Infiniti rears, Pioneer 10s, and a Precision Power amp. I just got out of an Audi A4 with an Alpine HU, Focal fronts, Infiniti rears, an Image Dynamics subwoofer, and a Directed 5 channel amp. So hopefully that gives you an idea of the class of products I'm comfortable purchasing.

The only thing I have left from that setup is the IDQ12 D2v2.

I'm looking to purchase:

- a pair of 6.5" components for the front (or 5.25" since I keep reading that there are very few 6.5" components that fit "right" in the Accord) even though the stock speakers are 6.5"

- a pair of 6x9s or 6.5s for the rear (I see that a lot of people convert their stock 6x9s to 6.5s

- a 5 channel amp. I'd like to have one amp to power this entire system. Or should I go with a good 3 channel amp and let the rears run off the HU?

THe car has factory navigation installed so I'm not wild about replacing the HU - I've read that this OEM head unit is actually manufactured by Alpine so hopefully that counts for something.

I'm more into sound quality than anything but I do like some nice tight thump. Favorite music stretches across the board from Top 40 to Rap to Country to Acoustic. I'd love to hear your recommendations and comments. I'm thinking the breakdown will go as follows:

fronts - $300

rears - $150

amp - $500

custom sub enclosure - $250

wiring and installation - $300

The other thing that confuses me is the wide variety of pricing you can find ont he same products. How can I find the same amp for $600 on one website and $300 on the next? Is everyone comfortable buying these products from non-authorized retailers at 50% of MSRP?

Thanks in advance.
forget the rear speakers.spend 450 on the fronts.

COMPSRainbow Powerline CMX 265 Kick $330 shipped (get them from an authorized dealer here on the forum)

** or **

Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS $269 shipped

COMP AMP

Alpine PDX-2.150 $250 shipped

SUB AMP

Alpine PDX-1.600 $317 shipped

Those amps are tiny, but powerful (usually birthed at more than rated).

And yes, forget the rears for now. With a proper and strong front stage, you shouldn't miss it unless you have a true surround sound processor. If you want rears (Pioneer REVs would be a decent choice) after you get everything installed, get them and run them off the HU to start. If it's still not to your liking, then upgrade to the Alpine PDX-4.150 if you want to do an amped 4 speaker install.

With your ID sub and for under $1000, that would make for one sweet sounding system, IMO.
What are the implications of a two amp setup? Will I need to make electrical improvements to the car?

What are the implications of a two amp setup? Will I need to make electrical improvements to the car?
No more than you would if needed by drawing similar current with a 5 channel amp.

The only thing you'll need in addition to the amp wiring kit is a power distribution block (and ground disto, if you want to do it up all tidy) and possibly some smaller length runs of wire to go from the distro to the amps.

www.knukonceptz.com sells all that good stuff at a reasonable price.

Scout around www.darvex.com as well, I hear lots of good things about the guy that runs that place. He's also on ebay under bag-boy (sp?).

What do you people think of the Memphis Big Belle? I know baseballer had one for sale recently. It seems to be a pretty sufficient 5-channel.
Great amp. I didn't recomend becaus he won't find a brand new one in his budget. If he can find a used one from a reputable member then yes jump on it. A little more power than the Power1000 and definitely proven to be a solid perfomer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.