HA! Almost forgot about this install!!!

There are only two things that can tear up a sub...

One being mechanical failure

the other being thermal failure

Now, too little power is obvously not going to mess the sub up mechanically. There simply isnt enough power to make it reach its limits.

Thermal, obvously, if there is not clipping, the heat will not be great enought to damage the sub.

Cliff notes...Mazda, you are full of ****.

Now, too little power is obvously not going to mess the sub up mechanically. There simply isnt enough power to make it reach its limits.

Thermal, obvously, if there is not clipping, the heat will not be great enought to damage the sub.

Cliff notes...Mazda, you are full of ****.
I thought that last bit was already a thoroughly established fact?

It is physically impossible to damage a speaker with too little power.
Why you ever bothered to begin posting here again, I'll never know.

I think i'm still puzzled why you still waste your time with me? Answer that

I mean you just love to fuel the fire. Anyways i'm off to a party. bye bye

Bibby- those are 10's in the Jeep.

Pimpedout97x- Yeah he heard mine. He didn't get in the car or anything but standing 5 ft away you can still feel the air blowing out my windows which was much greater than the pressure shooting out right from his port.

This is making one false assumption... that there IS NO CLIPPING.

99.9% of the time, having too small of an amp == clipping, a LOT of the time.

Many amps have very POOR clipping behaviour... it's not unusual for them to momentarily "latch up"... and send out bursts of DC on the output. Doesn't take much DC, to make a voice coil light up like a space heater element. Without the cooling effect of voice coil movement in the gap (which a small amp CAN'T generate, since it can't generate enough AC voltage swing), the DC will readily fry the adhesives the speaker voice coil is assembled with...

I can readily demonstrate the effects of hard clipping of a small amp, on a big speaker... I work on PA equipment, for a daily gig. Lemme hook up a 150w/ch amp- something, maybe, like a Behringer (ie, bulls***) amp- to a 1000w Electrovoice EVX180 18" pro subwoofer... wind the volume up to max, and watch the amp go into momentary DC. Bet the woofer will die within 10 minutes...

The point here: CLIPPING can destroy a speaker, NO MATTER if the speaker is rated at MUCH more power than the amp is rated...

Regards,

Gordon.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.