Best Buy techs are hilarious

Insomniac119
10+ year member

i can't sleep
So I went to best buy today to see if we could pick up some speaker ends ($5 for 4, I passed it up), and we decided to test the subs they had, and the tech guy came to help us. It was quit comical"

Him: "120db will make your ear drums explode and you're ears will bleed, exceding 110db is very dangerous."

Me: "Don't bandpass boxes peak at a certain frequency, and sound bad at others?"

Him: "No, they perform very well at all fequencies when they're in a trunk, only in open air are they loudest at one frequency."

Him: "One more db is twice the pressure on your eardrums." (that might be true, I don't know, but it doesn't sound right.)

I'm not exaderating any of those quotes, that is exactly what he told me.

So I went to best buy today to see if we could pick up some speaker ends ($5 for 4, I passed it up), and we decided to test the subs they had, and the tech guy came to help us. It was quit comical"
Him: "120db will make your ear drums explode and you're ears will bleed, exceding 110db is very dangerous."

Me: "Don't bandpass boxes peak at a certain frequency, and sound bad at others?"

Him: "No, they perform very well at all fequencies when they're in a trunk, only in open air are they loudest at one frequency."

Him: "One more db is twice the pressure on your eardrums." (that might be true, I don't know, but it doesn't sound right.)

I'm not exaderating any of those quotes, that is exactly what he told me.
That thing that livinlife requested i think said something like that...not ear drums explode but at 110 dbs it cause damage.

decibels are measured on a logrythmic scale, i've heard 800 different versions about how they work, haha, now i just don' think about it

i know 3db is supposedly 2x mechanical ouput, but it takes 9db so 'sound' 2x as loud....

but ya, bb techs are hillarious

lol, i once heard a raise in a DB is twice the volume to the ear.

i think its

double power equals a 3 db raise

double cone area equals a 3 db raise

6-10 db's twice as loud to the ear

a db is smallest change in noise a human can detect

i don't understand why bb and cc techs seem to be universally unknowledgable

do bb and cc actively seek out the applicants with the LEAST amount of car audio knowledge?

i can vouch for most of the local shops being just as retarded around here, so i know it's not cause they're all working somehwere else

I went to BB to get an Alpine harness. The guy told me they dont carry them because alpine changes the plugs every 2 years. I told him no they only have 2 different plugs a black and a white one. he turns and walks away. I swear i wont go in there anymore, but it is kinda fun to listen to them.

i went in there one day to ask what size speaker terminals a certain alpine amp had (they were 8ga. i know now) and the guy was telling me it didn't matter, because regardless of whether the physical hole was big enough to fit the wire, you have to put the power wire into a spade terminal, and clamp the spade down with the set screw............

i don't know if you can grasp the gravity of the comment through my explaination...

but set screw power terminal + male spade connector... visualize it

and go to best buy, that's how they have all their amps hooked up, with spade terminals jammed into the set screw power and speaker terminals

yikes, that level of ignorance insults me just by looking at it, seriously

decibels are measured on a logrythmic scale, i've heard 800 different versions about how they work, haha, now i just don' think about it
i know 3db is supposedly 2x mechanical ouput, but it takes 9db so 'sound' 2x as loud....

but ya, bb techs are hillarious
Yep thats what it is. give them BB guys a break though, not all of em have a background about car audio, but they shouldnt claim things they dont know for sure. 120 db is not loud though, lol. thats funny. 100db is as loud as a chainsaw. man i wish that guy could hear 150db system, i mean yeah thats nothin compared to 170 but i wonder what he would say about that. or even in the140 dbs which is quite common for most nice setups.

yea alot of BB and CC guys are just reg people who got a job in the store a spot opened in car audio and it was like, "yeah cool " so they went over there

man you're right. i just started workin in the car audio dept sales at cc a couple months ago and the guys workin with me don't know sh!t. they read the training mods and take it as holy grail. they're pretty amazed when i state my own opinions denouncing the training. it's truly comedy.

man you're right. i just started workin in the car audio dept sales at cc a couple months ago and the guys workin with me don't know sh!t. they read the training mods and take it as holy grail. they're pretty amazed when i state my own opinions denouncing the training. it's truly comedy.
Oh man, that would be gold.

I was told by a BB employee that all sony head units have video inputs. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

awesome! Didnt need that carputer anyways //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.