Car speakers randomly work and dont work

Participant count
  • Participant list

Max Scholtes

CarAudio.com Newbie
Lately my speakers will just go silent in my car. I can drive all the way to school without it happening one day and another day it will happen 20 minutes into my drive. Its not the head unit because the song still shows as playing. I’ve tried bluetuth, aux, and USB inputs and they all do it. I updated the firmware on the headunit and it didnt fix it. I drove this car almost a year without this problem. The only thing that has changed is I switched from a samsung to and iphone but it didnt start happening until a week after that. 

I’d like to stress the point that the speakers work sometimes and cut out completely other times, so dont tell me to check fuses. Resetting my phone and the headunit doesnt help. Only works again if my car is off for a while.

-My specs-

head unit: JVC kw-r910bt

speakers: 6 months old but i forget the brand. If its important ill check.

i also have 2 16’ kenwood subs. The amp is pretty old and all the wiring for it was already done when I bought the car.

Car: 2003 subaru wrx

a couple things can cause a head unit to stop outputting sound; one of those things is a slight short in the speaker wiring.  The head unit can keep playing and act like nothing's wrong because the protection can be inside the IC chip itself.  First thing i'd do is inspect the connections at each speaker and behind the head unit. 

rule 1: no bare copper wire strands should be visible at either the speaker or any connection. 

rule 2: no bare copper should be close to any other wires, any metal, or the speaker basket itself. 

Even a few wire strands can cause the issue.  And they can touch randomly.  The rear speakers, if exposed to the cargo area, are usually subject to having wiring pulled or stressed or things pushed into them causing the situation. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.