Found an oscilloscope, have a few questions.

Participant count
  • Participant list

DirtyDuzit

AZ
So my mom used to own a thrift store and to make a long story short I found a oscilloscope in one of her storage containers.

It's a Tektronix 2213A 60MHz scope.

It turns on and seems to work but I have a few questions.

1. I don't have the probes for it, are they universal? I see sets for as cheap as $8 on eBay.

2. Will this work for car audio? I've only ever used the SMD clipping indicator.

IMG_20181017_115133.jpg

Nice find.  You need the leads, and there are two main kinds:   standard or 10x.  The 10x leads let you measure higher voltages. 

Note that you connect the ground lead on the scope to chassis, not signal ground, when measuring audio signal.   There are a lot of videos on using a scope to measure for clipping.

I have a video on using an RTA to measure clipping and response - and it shows you what you can expect (since my RTA software has a scope mode).

1 hour ago, keep_hope_alive said:

Nice find.  You need the leads, and there are two main kinds:   standard or 10x.  The 10x leads let you measure higher voltages. 

Note that you connect the ground lead on the scope to chassis, not signal ground, when measuring audio signal.   There are a lot of videos on using a scope to measure for clipping.

I have a video on using an RTA to measure clipping and response - and it shows you what you can expect (since my RTA software has a scope mode).

Thanks I'll check that out

I'm currently writing an Instructable with a new video showing how you can use an RTA program with oscilloscope functions and frequency response.  It goes into more detail than the video above, but uses the same program.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.