Sign in to follow this  
youdoofus

lowest voltage an amp should see

i know that this will vary across amp brands and build houses, but what is the danger area one should be looking out for before damage to an amp occurs? From what i understand, some of the korean and really the brazilian amps really dont like less than 12.4, but i see 11.6 on my voltage meter at stop lights every so often, and i immediately either turn it down, or pop into neutral and rev to about 1000 or 1100 to bring the voltage back up, not the best solution i know. But until i get an AGM and 0 gauge, itll have to do.

From what i hear, some of the older american amps couldnt really care less if you give them 8 volts, 5.635 volts (im kidding, of course) but theyll take low voltages without as much of a concern as these newer amps. Just curious if there is a modicum of truth to this theory.

Ever since i got a volt meter in my car, ive obviously been able to OCD out on the raw numbers more, and yes ive calibrated it several time to make sure its at least pretty darn close to what the amps are actually seeing

2002 Honda Accord sedan V6 (automatic slushbox)

2 Rockford p3 12s (dual 2 ohm)

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff

Front stage:PRV Audio 6MB200 6.5 and Massive Audio CT2 tweeters

Rear speakers: stock

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

Old Zed stuff was supposed to be ok 11-15 volt range but that type of build usually dose not have big dynamic headroom.

1987 THUNDER ON WHEELS NATIONAL CHAMPION 0-100 Watt class

Avatar Tony Mannino "The Godfather" M&M Electronics with me at Finals

Reference amedeuce papermaker shizzon

Heat is the killer my friend

Team Fi 12

CT 4000.1

CT 125.4

CT 60.4

Crescendo PWX Mids / STS Tweets

80PRS

CES 270 Alt

D3400 and 2 Kinetik HC2400s

Maxwell supercap banks x2

Urwifeinthepassenger

Old Zed stuff was supposed to be ok 11-15 volt range but that type of build usually dose not have big dynamic headroom.

i think you could probably run old zed stuff at 3 volts and it would just shrug it off LoL

Heat is the killer my friend

for sure, heat is cancer for all electronics. But the voltage question is still there.

2002 Honda Accord sedan V6 (automatic slushbox)

2 Rockford p3 12s (dual 2 ohm)

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff

Front stage:PRV Audio 6MB200 6.5 and Massive Audio CT2 tweeters

Rear speakers: stock

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

Most amps shut off around 10v... I don’t play lower then 12v

12.5 and below is hairy but if it's music and the voltage jumps up fairly quick most good amps will tolerate 11.5. Just remember current is 25 to 30% higher..

i told wife guy on here pm'ed me wanting to buy my amp she said tell him it not fs (cause she knows i'll spend more $ on new one) and told her i wanted d2 sub for bday next week she said tell ya'll i'm to old to go down to 1ohm lol..

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this