2k to 3k amp difference?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Would there be a drastic difference from 2k to 3kw? Debating on upgrading my sundown 2000w amp to a sundown 3k for my sundown zv5 18. I feel as if the sub isn't being pushed to its full potential with the 2k and curious if the price difference is justified given I'm someone who just listens daily. Subs rated at 2k rms but sundowns known for under rating their subs. Not looking to meter just casual listener

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Would there be a drastic difference from 2k to 3kw? Debating on upgrading my sundown 2000w amp to a sundown 3k for my sundown zv5 18. I feel as if the sub isn't being pushed to its full potential with the 2k and curious if the price difference is justified given I'm someone who just listens daily. Subs rated at 2k rms but sundowns known for under rating their subs. Not looking to meter just casual listener
i imagine it would make a diff how much of one idk.. but for the price look at this has a nice board and big blank tested the 1500 it did over rated power https://www.wolframaudio.com/collections/w-series-monoblock-amplifiers/products/w-3000-1

nope get a 5k if you want an actual upgrade. If you are wired to only 1 ohm then literally expect 3 ohm power out of your amp because box rise... simple as that. your 2k literally turns to 800 watts. 5k will be just enough if you only wire to 1 ohm.

nope get a 5k if you want an actual upgrade. If you are wired to only 1 ohm then literally expect 3 ohm power out of your amp because box rise... simple as that. your 2k literally turns to 800 watts. 5k will be just enough if you only wire to 1 ohm.
Is there a way to help negate box rise? Honestly I'm not familiar with the concept of box rise but I'll be sure to read up on it

Is there a way to help negate box rise? Honestly I'm not familiar with the concept of box rise but I'll be sure to read up on it
Get a much bigger amp or wire your amp low as fk. Make your enclosure flex free. Otherwise there's not much you can do. Literally just need to accept the fact that you always need to have A LOT of headroom with power for any setup you have if you want the maximum performance possible out of your subs/speakers.

I'd get something like a taramps HD 5000 or 8000 if you only plan on wiring to 1 ohm. Korean boards dont do much unless you wire them to half ohm or below.

You could run a 4-5k amp on that sub no problem because of rise. They are 3 inch coils afaik but they're much longer allowing them to handle more heat (sorta, don't rag on me for generalizing)

Sell the sundown and buy a newer taramps hd3k lol if you want to stay on the lower end as far as cost goes and footprint

I've almost never heard a worthwhile difference going from a 1k to a 2k, or a 2k to a 3k when it comes to korean boards. But it can be fun to try new amps..so depends on your time and budget

edit: nvm Jeff pretty much beat me to it on every point as usual surprised he didn't mention going brazilian because they inherently do better when not wiring down

1k increase from 2-3? "Might feel" a little extra thump, but nothing close to dramatic, if you even notice at all. Now, if you took that same 3k and wired it at half (like others are saying to wire low), then probably something you'd consider "significant" but then again, everyone is different. Plus, you'd have to switch subs. Is all that worth it for a maybe?

I'll look into picking up an 8k if that's the case. I havent heard many top tier systems in person and went with the 2k to play it safe, but i just can tell this sub is begging for more power. Just don't want to take any risks on damaging the sub

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.