Alpine ILX 007 (Car Play)

Participant count
  • Participant list

Morrob99

Review of Head Unit: Alpine ILX 007

Pros:

The best screen you will find on a head unit. Hands down. It looks amazing.

SQ seems to be better than the pioneers I've owned. There are a ton of options when it comes to tuning.

Car Play seems to work well enough.

Radio allows you to search via genre, has great reception and seeks relatively quick and accurate.

Cons:

The list of compatible apps is pretty short. You aren't able to use google maps so you'll have to stick with apple maps. You aren't able to view video via carplay.

Doesn't read usb drives.

No CD slot.

There are almost NO tuning options available directly on the headunit. You are forced to use an application on your phone called alpine tuneit. Once you figure out the application though, tuning is a breeze.

Carplay forces you to use siri for a lot of simple stuff. Siri in my opinion is kind of gimmicky. I wish they would have at least allowed you to do more manual tasks with your "parking brake" engaged.

The pics don't do the screen much justice. The 7" screen is absolutely first class. I'm personally missing the trim piece as well. but can't complain considering I only paid 200$. Any questions feel free to ask

5TtndpZ.jpg

JXNp5Ny.jpg

I've had mine for around 6 months and really like it.

I've not had a "cd" player device for years and don't miss them.

The device is really designed for an iphone/ipod and integrates well imo.

I'm hoping Google maps makes it onto Car Play...there is certainly enough demand for it but Apple is apparently very stubborn...Apple maps is a lot better than it used to be but still not as good as Google.

Siri works well for me and I like it a lot better than using Bluetooth in the factory radio.

I agree that tuning is very basic...TuneIt works great...I've used it on other head units and like it a lot especially time correction.

Without an iphone/ipod it is a very expensive AM/FM radio hehehe...but with it is a great head unit.

I've had mine for around 6 months and really like it.I've not had a "cd" player device for years and don't miss them.

The device is really designed for an iphone/ipod and integrates well imo.

I'm hoping Google maps makes it onto Car Play...there is certainly enough demand for it but Apple is apparently very stubborn...Apple maps is a lot better than it used to be but still not as good as Google.

Siri works well for me and I like it a lot better than using Bluetooth in the factory radio.

I agree that tuning is very basic...TuneIt works great...I've used it on other head units and like it a lot especially time correction.

Without an iphone/ipod it is a very expensive AM/FM radio hehehe...but with it is a great head unit.
In that case maybe it's time to hook up the MIC and give it a go. I didn't even bother installing it simply because I really never use siri lol. I will say today I found a new gripe. Navigation guidance volume doesn't adjust with the volume you have the unit at. You have to set it between 1-7. So I had it set for 4 but then on the highway when I have my music up loud it goes quiet and tells me directions almost inaudible and then blasts the music again. But if I set it to 7 then it's crazy loud in town even when I have music at 1-10.

I really do like it even more now after messing around with the tuneit app and getting it all setup. By far the best sounding headunit I've owned yet!

I really wish it would read a **** usb though. It's already there, but ONLY supports iphones for carplay which I think it's a bit stupid.

The mic is mounted at the top left corner of my CRV and works great. I've used Siri to make calls..."call wife", etc. without a problem. I've sent messages, told Siri to play music, podcasts, etc. with barely a glitch...I find the glitch is more my speech and saying a phrase/words that Siri can understand as it applies to doing something.

I think I have the turn by turn set at 5 and I have no problems.

I'd love to be able to say I've compared it to other units out there but I can't. I can only compare it to using Bluetooth with my iPhone 6+ and the CRV's factory head unit...what a disaster, it barely worked and when it did only in the most crude fashion. I was just awful.

I wish the 007 had some of the display screen features I've seen, on websites, that many of the other units boast. For the money it is very bland...not even showing album art is lame...too bad too as the screen itself is quite nice. I'd like to be able to move the Car Play icons so I can have the few I use all the time on the first "page"/screen...that too is pretty lame. I'd like a larger display for the time as well. I see no reason why it has to be so small. But I think my complaints are all software based and can be improved by updates.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Morrob99

Morrob99
Olympia, WA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date