Massive Audio Hippo12?!?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I came across these a few weeks back but there is very little information on them or discussion online so Im working on selling my XFLs and I went ahead and picked up two of these I could only find dual 2s so it made my going half ohm choice easy ... These subs look just like a SQ hdc3 but have a lower Fs and 95db sensitivity? !? Idk about that

Here is what I found with a quick search, and man, they sure are proud of their stuff .... This particular description says it has a 2.5" vc's, but all the others I found say 3", which I would tend to think with a 500-2000rms power handling suggestion ....

Get that “Big Bottom” with the HIPPO Subwoofers When Massive Audio designed the “HIPPO” Series Subwoofers we had one thing we wanted out of the design. No junk for a trunk just a subwoofer with a “Big Bottom.” All three Hippo Series subwoofers 8”, 12” and 15” are truly giant works of art that can slam! These big bottomed boys use 3” over sized voice coils that hold 4000 Watts of power, extra deep diamond polished cast aluminum baskets, double stacked Strontium Magnets and Kevlar Fiber Reinforced Non-Pressed Paper Cones that has a industrial machined stitched edge right into the cone’s surround for added strength. To feed a 2013 HIPPO Massive Audio recommends 500 – 2000 RMS of raw power. You can cage a HIPPO in a sealed box as small as .375 cub. Ft for Hippo 8, 1 cub. Ft for the 12” and only 2 cub ft for the 15” or you can let them relax in a ported box for even more of that “Big Bottom ”. Massive Audio “HIPPO” Series is Big, Bad and Beautiful”.

FEATURES:

Heavy Duty, Rugged Industrial Textured Cast Aluminum Basket

High Energy Double Stack Strontium Magnet Structure

Dual Impedance Black Anodized 2.5” Voice Coil Former with Kevlar Spunlace

Kevlar Fiber Reinforced Non-Pressed Paper Cone with Industrial Textured Finish

Stitched Edge to the Cone’s Edge for Added Strength

Over Sized Mirror Image Dual Poly / Nomex Spiders

Black Anodized One Piece Pole-Plate for Added Motor Force

Heavy Duty Direct Input Wires Connection to Voice Coils

Reinforced Fiberglass Woven Dust cap for High Power Applications

Custom Tooled Rubber Gasket and Magnet Boot

SPECIFICATIONS:

Size 12"

Peak Watts 2000

RMS Watts 4000

Cone Non-Pressed Paper

Voice Coil 3" Dual 2 Ohm

Surround Tall and Narrow Foam

Magnet 320oz Strontium

Terminals Heavy Duty Direct Input Wires Connection

Basket Cast Aluminum

Tinsel Leads Heavy Duty Triple

X-Max 15mm peak to peak

SPL 95.99dB

Ported Box 14"H x 16"D x 20"W (Round Port 2 4" x 12")

Sealed Box 1.58 ft3

Yea their right inline with an hdc3 for price it seems like a good sub the company just needs to calm down on all the marketing hype because for these kind of subs and the people looking at them not to many will be fooled

Yea their right inline with an hdc3 for price it seems like a good sub the company just needs to calm down on all the marketing hype because for these kind of subs and the people looking at them not to many will be fooled
Even at 279 theres no way id buy one over a hdc3 12

600 bucks??? They are 2 somethin on sonic
I only looked on their official site, 1 other site and an add for a used one @ $500 on CL ....

Both sites new listed them @ $600 ea ......

I did say a "QUICK" search ...lol ...

OP wanted info, I found info for him ....

Sorry if the pricing was off ....STILL, there are better options in the $250-$300 range ....

The lack of one way throw could be because of the hella tight gap it would take to keep the sensitivity that high. The only way to know for sure is to get a detailed review from one of our more experienced members.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.