New to car audio HELPPP!!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

ehagoo1988

So i bought 2 mtx terminator 12"s with a dual xpe2700 400 watt amp on a dual xd1225 head unit.

The amp turns on but nothing will play through the subs.

I rechecked the wiring and there was no problem.

none of the fuses are blown.

Rca cables are right

ground wire is tight and on bare metal

power wires is tight on the battery

idk what the problem is and im about to lose my mind. haha

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

try taking one of those adapters used to connect an ipod to a stereo, except hook it to your amp. if the amp powers up, and protect light isn't on, the first thing i would do is the the input by using the aforementioned method. to check to make sure the speakers are making a complete circuit connect the speaker leads on and off to a 9v battery. the subs should momentarily move a little from this.

ALRIGHT. well i did that and the subs cut on. so i put on a song with bass and they lasted like 2 seconds before the amp went into protection mode.

So should i expect this from a bad amp like this?

or is there something else.

AND my amp wont turn of now even when the car is off.

Is this because the remote wire is hooked up to the radio fuse?

ALRIGHT. well i did that and the subs cut on. so i put on a song with bass and they lasted like 2 seconds before the amp went into protection mode. So should i expect this from a bad amp like this?

or is there something else.

AND my amp wont turn of now even when the car is off.

Is this because the remote wire is hooked up to the radio fuse?
The radio fuse is likely a constant 12v because it's used for the memory of the stock stereo (the clock, radio stations, etc.) so if your amp is connected to that it likely won't turn off. You're better off connecting it to an accesory wire like a cig lighter, or something if you don't have a remote turn on lead.

As far as protection mode... what ohm load is the amp seeing from the subs?

the subs are 2 ohm but idk what ohms the amp is.

and my radio fuse is shared by my cigarette lighter.

I drive a 1999 honda accord lx.

There is a blue wire but the guy at roger stereo said that was a bad idea.

i cant recall why

the subs are 2 ohm but idk what ohms the amp is.and my radio fuse is shared by my cigarette lighter.

I drive a 1999 honda accord lx.

There is a blue wire but the guy at roger stereo said that was a bad idea.

i cant recall why
Blue wire from your head unit or the car?

The blue wire on your dual head unit is your remote wire.

so the blue wire to my head unit is my remote wire?

well now im pissed.

i asked him about hooking my remote wire to either the blue or red wire...maybe he was talking about the red wire.

hmm alright.

but still my amp still goes to protect mode whenever the hard bass hits.

is it because its a crappy amp or is there something else?

a better amp could help but then again how high do you have the gain and what's the amp load. Do you have the subs wired in series or parallel. are your subs single voice coil 2 ohm or dual voice coil 2 ohm?

so the blue wire to my head unit is my remote wire?well now im pissed.

i asked him about hooking my remote wire to either the blue or red wire...maybe he was talking about the red wire.

hmm alright.

but still my amp still goes to protect mode whenever the hard bass hits.

is it because its a crappy amp or is there something else?
You need to figure out what ohm load the amp is seeing. I don't know the amp too well (hopefully you didn't buy this brand at an audio shop) but you might want to check the wiring. Google sub wiring diagram ohm load... it will show you how to wire them. To be safe and keep the amp from going into protect I'd try and wire to a 4ohm load if you can.

Your best bet would be to invest in... or take a trip down to your local autozone and use a meter to check the ohm load and adjust your gain on the amp. It will allow you to get the best results from the amp and allow your system to last longer/sound better.

Do this with the wire from your sub to your amp to check ohm load...

You can get away with setting the gain by ear but you don't want to overdo it or you'll end up sending a clipped signal to your sub and blow it. The gain isn't a volume control.

ill put the gain up like a quarter of the way.

does the frequency have anything to do with it?

and no i bought the amp at walmart haha im guessing that was a mistake.

they are wired in series and dual voice coil 2 ohm.

ill put the gain up like a quarter of the way.does the frequency have anything to do with it?

and no i bought the amp at walmart haha im guessing that was a mistake.

they are wired in series and dual voice coil 2 ohm.
Are they bridged in mono? The amp can only handle 4ohm bridged..

You'll have to wire each sub to its own channel on the amp.. it can run 2ohm stereo... You'll be getting half the power but that's the only way it'll work. If you have the money I suggest selling that amp and we can suggest a much better one for a decent price. You'll want more power soon.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.