box design for eclipse sw8000 10"

Participant count
  • Participant list

atownmack
10+ year member

I need help building a box for my eclipse sw8000 sub. I modeled it in win isd and built a 3.9cuft box tuned to 30hz, and now it barely has any volume at all (Box probably too big). I have to turn the volume all the way up to even notice its there! Does anyone have a box recommendation? I had this exact same problem with a JL audio 10w6 years ago, but a friend built a box for me, and it came alive.

I want a box that will allow it to produce volume while remaining clean and undistorted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also does anyone know the volume of the sub itself? I cant find that anywhere!

Do not put that driver in a vented enclosure. You WILL break it, I promise.

Give it 2 to 2.5cu.ft. sealed and stuffed and juice it.

Do not put that driver in a vented enclosure. You WILL break it, I promise.
Give it 2 to 2.5cu.ft. sealed and stuffed and juice it.

Do you have personal experience with Eclipse Aluminum series subs in a sealed box? I know in the manual it recommends going sealed, but I much rather have ported, due to the extra volume. What do you mean by stuffed?

Do you have personal experience with Eclipse Aluminum series subs in a sealed box? I know in the manual it recommends going sealed, but I much rather have ported, due to the extra volume. What do you mean by stuffed?
I have experience with all of them. Stuff means polyfill.

Yea thats it! how did it sound sealed? Was it super quite? I bought this from a shop last week. I remember hearing these years ago when my buddy had 2 12" aluminum's in a car in a ported box. They sounded clean and loud, very similar to Jl w7's. Im just afraid if I go sealed, I'll lose my loudness, which I love!

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

I have experience with all of them. Stuff means polyfill.
How much polyfill?

No, not quiet at all. I had it shoe-horned into 1.5 sealed and stuffed and it was nasty. You can go about 8oz per cu.ft.

No, not quiet at all. I had it shoe-horned into 1.5 sealed and stuffed and it was nasty. You can go about 8oz per cu.ft.
you seem to know much about this sub, Ill build a a sealed box and see how I like, and Ill let you know what I think. When putting the polyfill in the box, does it matter if its glued, or just throw it in the box?

you seem to know much about this sub, Ill build a a sealed box and see how I like, and Ill let you know what I think. When putting the polyfill in the box, does it matter if its glued, or just throw it in the box?
The only real concern is the polyfill getting into the pole vent of the driver.
The main reason you don't want to use this driver in a vented alignment is the low motor force and high Q. Secondary reasons are the relatively soft suspension and the fact that the BL is the same at the mechanical extremes as it is at rest. You will surely run into thermal issues due to the low motor force trying to drive a port, and cone folding issues if/when the driver unloads under tuning. 2 cubes and 800-1200 watts is pretty impressive for a single 10" with a phenomenal sound signature.

The only real concern is the polyfill getting into the pole vent of the driver.
The main reason you don't want to use this driver in a vented alignment is the low motor force and high Q. Secondary reasons are the relatively soft suspension and the fact that the BL is the same at the mechanical extremes as it is at rest. You will surely run into thermal issues due to the low motor force trying to drive a port, and cone folding issues if/when the driver unloads under tuning. 2 cubes and 800-1200 watts is pretty impressive for a single 10" with a phenomenal sound signature.
Thank you so much for the information, you are very helpful. Im on my way to home depot to buy supplies!

Good luck with it, hope you like it. I say that just because it's not a driver for everybody. Give it an honest try for a few weeks.

Good luck with it, hope you like it. I say that just because it's not a driver for everybody. Give it an honest try for a few weeks.
Here is the box i built for it 1.5 cuft. I started with 8oz of polyfil, then tried with 12oz, but found that it sounds best with 10oz. thanks for all of your help and advice with the box, it really help out a bunch!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.