Help me with sealing door speakers? I have pictures!

sjv13
10+ year member

StayStrange
So I'm not sure of the best way to get a good seal with my door speakers. My doors are already very solid heavy and I have minimal rattling, so I dont need any advice with dynamat or sound deadening material. Not to mention that it's not in the budget right now. What I do need help with is figuring out how to make a bracket/mount (MDF is the best?) for my speakers to replace my stock flimsy plastic. I also heard that I should use weather stripping to get a good seal. A member here made a nice diagram that I will post up as well.

Bottom line: I'm posting pictures so I can get people to who know what they are doing to help me in my particular situation.

View attachment 26537326

View attachment 26537327

View attachment 26537328

View attachment 26537329

View attachment 26537325

Here's what I do

001-4.jpg

003-3.jpg

That's roofing tin IIRC that I used. I used cardboard to trace out hole that I was going to cover and then traced it onto the tin and cut it out. Be sure to cut the tin slightly larger than the hole so you have a way to attach it. Then put a bead of silicone around the outer edges of the hole, press into place and drill a few holes around the outer border and install a few pop rivets to hold it into place. Works like a charm and is stiff and non-resonant after a layer of deadener.

mdf works good for new baffles, once their on can use somesort of deadener around it to seal it off, cover up the gaps if it's not perfectly flush on the door

mdf works good for new baffles, once their on can use somesort of deadener around it to seal it off, cover up the gaps if it's not perfectly flush on the door
How do I go about attaching the mdf baffle to the door? Do I use adhesive or screws... Or whatever else, idk? Is there any type of product in a spray can that I can spray on it to keep it from getting wet? Truck bed liner? And do you think this will really help the mid bass response by using an mdf cutout rather than the plastic bracket?

How do I go about attaching the mdf baffle to the door? Do I use adhesive or screws... Or whatever else, idk? Is there any type of product in a spray can that I can spray on it to keep it from getting wet? Truck bed liner? And do you think this will really help the mid bass response by using an mdf cutout rather than the plastic bracket?
I attached the mdf to the door with sheet metal screws, bed liner would work.

honestly idk if the response would gain or not. Sealing up around the plastic one would

Deadener is good for sealing the doors not just getting rid of the rattles.

here is what I started with, very unsealed.

101_4819.jpg

101_4816.jpg

101_4826.jpg

101_4828.jpg

101_4830.jpg

Much better response than being all open.

This was in the rear of my car but it is just the same for the doors.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.