97 GTP box

moparerrnocar
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Fargo, ND
I got a 97 Prix thats currently running a JVC HU, MBQ1500D with a Pair of SWR-1243D's (12" type R 600) in a pre fab vented enclosure. Doesnt sound bad, but I know it could sound better. I still need to finish my big3, but I have 1 run of 0awg to the amp pwr/grnd. (still need alt, chassis, block.)

I want more low bass for stuff like tech n9ne, KMK, lil wayne, T pain, gucci, zoe, DJ screw, 36, lil white, paul wall, project pat, luda, D12 ect... Should I stay ported or look for sealed? I'd like to build my own box, but ported looks too challenging. I dont have experience building box's, but I can read a tape and I have access to a circular saw.

My current box is 36" wide and 13" tall and fits perfect. If I had to go bigger, I can only go deeper. What size do you recommend and if vented, what type/size port? Would a round port be easier to experiment with being I could change port lenght to fine tune, or will a square outshine a round? Should the cabinets be separate or shared? Center port or side L port? I'm looking for simplicity but no compromise in SPL.

Thanks

Just go with a simple vented box. Doesn't get much easier than building a slot port. Keep them both in the same box so you know they both have equal room. If you can read a tape measure, find what the maximum height, depth and width of the box can be, multiply all those numbers together and then divide that number by 1728. Example.. 13" tall X 15"deep X 36" wide = 7020. Now divide.. 7020/1728 = 4.0625 Cubic feet. Use this little tool to help you better understand which values change what. RE AUDIO - Box Calculator

There used to be a thread somewhere based solely on Type-R boxes.. Give them 4-4.5 cubic ft at 33hz and give 'em hell. Only way to know is try it out.

How can I figure out what my box is currently tuned to? Whatever its tuned to, it seems really high. M&M (or rock) for example sounds resiny and rattles my panels. I put some polly fill in the box but it didnt really help. My car is a rattle box already, I'm wondering if a lower tune will help. I havnt experamented enough with boxes. I bought a pre fab dual L port (truck box) and it sounded like shiz. It literally sounded like my subs where free air'n. Here's some pics of both

The fist box in the pics is the truck box. Its specific to Diamond Audio subs. Its 1.0 net 1.9 gross Cu. Ft. and tuned to 38hz. 12" DUAL VENTED

The second is my current box, I dont have the specs, I bought it at a pawn shop.

its prefab and i doubt its anything below 35hz....u can try to take the internal measurments like chamber height depth and length and punch them into RE calc and then take ur port height width and total length and enter those in to RE calc to see what you get

RE AUDIO - Box Calculator

I've owned an 03 grand prix since 04ish... Have had about 13 or diff sub set-ups it in... All were ran by my mmats. :)

I dont do spl just daily pounding, I have the best results doin a 4 12 sealed setup...

2 seperate boxes

don't use the RE box calculator it's wrong. go like 3.5ft tuned to 30hz, it will peak out hard on the low stuff.

sub/port back

Is there an accurate calculator I can use for free? Math isnt my strong point. You say 3.5 is that per chamber? What do you mean by sub/port back?

Thanks

I've owned an 03 grand prix since 04ish... Have had about 13 or diff sub set-ups it in... All were ran by my mmats. :)I dont do spl just daily pounding, I have the best results doin a 4 12 sealed setup...

2 seperate boxes

I like to have space in my trunk and weight is an issue. Hard on the struts and kills milage. I was thinking of just one 15 in a big vented box in the future. For now I'm sticking with my 12's unless I pop one. What is mmats btw, Memphis Mojo?

its prefab and i doubt its anything below 35hz....u can try to take the internal measurments like chamber height depth and length and punch them into RE calc and then take ur port height width and total length and enter those in to RE calc to see what you get
RE AUDIO - Box Calculator
How inaccurate is the RE calc? Does some one have a formula the could explain?

Thanks for the help guys

I got my box and port measurements...

Mat. thickness .75

Width 36"

Height 13"

Length 16"

(3.33 Cu Ft) 3.13 Cu Ft w/ subs

Port dimensions

Width 3"

Height 11.5"

Length 12.25"

So how do I figure out what HZ my port is tuned to?

Do I have to take the port into account for box volume too? What would two 11.5"x12.25"x.075" sheets equal? .012? So Box w/ subs = 3.11?

There are alot of calculator out there, but I always use the one at The12volt.com. This is the link.

Subwoofer Enclosure Calculators, Fraction to Decimal, Parallel, Series, Port Length and Volume Calculators

They have great information on their site and i would recommend it to anyone.

Also there are great calculators on this site too.

Calculators: Madisound Speaker Store

I will ask a friend of mine, Jason, from Mobile Enclosures to chime in too. He is a great person to work with and has a VERY VERY good special going on right now on design specs and response curves for specific build applications.

There are alot of calculator out there, but I always use the one at The12volt.com. This is the link.
Subwoofer Enclosure Calculators, Fraction to Decimal, Parallel, Series, Port Length and Volume Calculators

They have great information on their site and i would recommend it to anyone.

Calculators: Madisound Speaker Store

I will ask a friend of mine, Jason, from Mobile Enclosures to chime in too. He is a great person to work with and has a VERY VERY good special going on right now on design specs and response curves for specific build applications.
Thanks, more help the better. Using 12Volt.com calc I get 40hz? Is this right

there are alot of calculator out there, but i always use the one at the12volt.com. This is the link.
subwoofer enclosure calculators, fraction to decimal, parallel, series, port length and volume calculators

they have great information on their site and i would recommend it to anyone.

calculators: Madisound speaker store

i will ask a friend of mine, jason, from mobile enclosures to chime in too. He is a great person to work with and has a very very good special going on right now on design specs and response curves for specific build applications.
x2

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.