Do speakers need to be enclosed?

Tapil
10+ year member

My friend recently went nuts with a 8 channel power amp and has ghetto speakers just thrown up on his dash, velcro'd to seats/rear deck and even a few hung from the roof by zip ties

Yeah...

Anyways, His speakers are fully exposed. It brought up a thought to me, Do they need to be enclosed in some sort of enclosement?

2 of his speakers are half way exposed dipping through some foam padding on his back seat...

And yes it sounds like garbage,

1: because all the speakers cost no more than $15

2: Because they are always falling down and rattling against each other and crap

Wow!!! I've heard and seen alot of whacked out installs but this one must be the weirdest of all! Normally they do need some sort of enclosed space to operate in such as doors, trunks, enclosures and even speaker baffles are usefull. Man, can you get a picture of this install and share it with us? LOL

Id LOVE to get some pics but this is a guy I work with and i rode with him to burger king on break, and i had left my phone in my locker. I will try to get some thursday when we work together again lol

Subscribed. Even having the speakers screwed down securely in doors makes a huge difference. I've repaired a few installs where the speakers were flapping in the doors, and it sounded night and day better.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.