What the hell is this? (Pic)

My transmission had been making a bad noise for a few days, so today i pulled the torque converter cover and looked, and found this sitting in the pan. What the hell is it? Starter shim maybe? Its the same color as the engine block, and has 2 screwholes in it from what i can tell, and 2 tabs on it. Now that i removed the shrapnel it isnt making that noise anymore

2a68avs.jpg

manuals dont have torque converters

at least someone else saw that. really, don't know how much help he could be if he doesn't even know that a MT doesn't have a torque converter.

to the OP, iirc, every converter is sealed up. so if that was in there with it, it had to come from inside. could be one of the fin's from inside the converter itself.

at least someone else saw that. really, don't know how much help he could be if he doesn't even know that a MT doesn't have a torque converter.
to the OP, iirc, every converter is sealed up. so if that was in there with it, it had to come from inside. could be one of the fin's from inside the converter itself.
The TC is housed in the bell housing, I don't think it has a pan correct?

Where is the pan you found it in?

i doubt that could make it into the pan, unless op is confused, to pull the tc you have to seperate the trans from the engine, the pan is further back on the bottom, take off the pan and you will see the valve body. If he means just right behind the tc shield then that is not refered to as the 'pan'. If it came from there it could be a starter shim, or possibly I was thinking a weight on the tc, they are balanced. If in the pan and if it looks brass it could be part of a bearing.

Its pretty heavy, has a goldish tint to it but has the same color paint as the block (pontiac blue) on it. The pan im referring to is i guess what would be the torque converter shield, but ive heard it called all kinds of things, like inspection pan, etc. The trans is a 700r4 and its in an 81 pontiac catalina.

To the smartass person above, it would actually be considered more of a nigger car these days, not a redneck one. However i am bit of a redneck, but thats beside the point here.

Seems like you fixed the problem...I wouldn't worry about it much if the noise stopped //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

I Like Waffle
North Carolina
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
FatPat*da*Ratt
1000007733.jpg