****ing caliper is stripped ( bleeding brake question)

99grandprixGT
5,000+ posts

now got an 04 grand prix
home
so im trying to get my brakes done right now. and i go to take the rear caliper bolt out and i take it off, and did not really notice if it came out easily then i go to put it bak in and its stripped the bolt just slides all the way in and out with out turning.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif so i need to get a new caliper now:crap: so i need to bleed all the brakes even if i just replace the back caliper right?

no, just the one caliper. you can open the bleeder and let it gravity bleed for about 5 min or so. keep an eye on the fluid level and you should be fine.

the **** that ***** you didn't strip the bolt?
nah i can see the theres no where for a bolt to screw into. its like sanded down

no, just the one caliper. you can open the bleeder and let it gravity bleed for about 5 min or so. keep an eye on the fluid level and you should be fine.

i would do both back but thats just me, shouldnt take long anyways

alright cool. so i do not need to do the fronts? just do the one or both back preferably? so bolt in the new caliper and open the bleeder screw and let it squirt out no need to pressing on the brake pedal?

Told ya not to paint the calipers ....nothin but trouble can come from this.

Ha, jk....good luck man, i hate when im workin on something and randomness pops its ugly head up and says "NOOO....IT WILL NOT BE THIS EASY"

Ha, jk....good luck man, i hate when im workin on something and randomness pops its ugly head up and says "NOOO....IT WILL NOT BE THIS EASY"
murphy's law's a *****.

lol ya, i did not even end up paint them. i figured ill do it once i get my new rims. and ya, i got one side done real quick and then bam this ***** striped:crap: and i need to get the car done to go to work tommorow morning.

i'm glad i don't have to go thru that mess of bleeding brakes with my civic. all i need is a wrench, a socket wrench, and a C clamp. ***** for you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

ok so the gravity method is just producing drips, so should i do the pushing the pedal method? also the new caliper came with 2 copper washers to go around the brake line bolt. do i need one on the head of the bolt and one on the caliper side? i thought thats how it goes and for some reason it does not want to go on the bolt. so i put both on the caliper side but i do not think that is correct. i think its leaking alittle. ill go out and check when im done typing this. thanks for any help. i really need to get this done.

just use vise grips and gently pinch of the line and you will only have to bleed that 1 caliper. use the original copper washers with the circle indents facing the banjo fitting not the caliper. as long as they didnt leak before they wont leak again. and yes you have to have 1 on each side or it will leak. the copper washers are actually pressure formed seals like a gasket. that is why as long as they didnt leak before you reuse them, they are already formed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. old school mechanic trick //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif if ya need any help pm or email me. if ya want i'll give my # in a pm and you can call me and i'll walk you through it. Im a retired mechanic of 22 yrs.

i figured you were by your self so i suggested the gravity bleeed method but if you have an extra hand you can do it the other way. just use one of the copper wahsers or it will most likely leak.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

99grandprixGT

5,000+ posts
now got an 04 grand prix
99grandprixGT
home
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date