What would you do between HU or Crossover.

Participant count
  • Participant list

bigbangtheory
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Well I cant decide what to do. I have a pretty good deck in the 7600 Pioneer cd player and has done me well over the last year plus. Thing is it is only 2volts. I am wanting to get into a 4v deck. Something on the lines of Pioneer 7700 and up and below 300 bucks.

OR

I was considering getting a better crossover and keep the deck. Was looking into the Memphis 3 way xover at 8volts. I currently have a lanzar that seems to work ok, but had to get a noise filter because of it.

So what would you do? I could save some money on the crossover, but I am not sure what would give better sound to be honest. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for any input. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

If you're not having any problems now then most likely doing nothing more than increasing the voltage of the preout signal being sent to the amps will make little to no audible difference.

If you're not having any problems now then most likely doing nothing more than increasing the voltage of the preout signal being sent to the amps will make little to no audible difference.
Thats not true. I had a older blaupaunkt deck back in the day that was 2volts and changed it out for an older Alpine at 4v(Forget model #) and made a pretty big difference in sound and all ran fine then. I just got tired of the look of the Blaupaunkt. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Thats not true. I had a older blaupaunkt deck back in the day that was 2volts and changed it out for an older Alpine(Forget model #) and made a pretty big difference in sound and all ran fine then. I just got tired of the look of the Blaupaunkt. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
I'd wager that would be due much more to the inherent SQ of the respective decks rather than simply a change in preout voltage.

That's why I qualified my original statement with "only" changing preout signal voltage and all else being equal.

I'd suggest if you had exchanged the original Blau with another Blau that had more or less identical internals excepting preout voltage you'd have noticed very little difference if any at all.

I'd wager that would be due much more to the inherent SQ of the respective decks rather than simply a change in preout voltage.
That's why I qualified my original statement with "only" changing preout signal voltage and all else being equal.

I'd suggest if you had exchanged the original Blau with another Blau that had more or less identical internals excepting preout voltage you'd have noticed very little difference if any at all.
So anyway you dont think me getting either a higher voltage deck would be much audible difference than the 3-way Memphis crossover?

I guess what I am saying is I am getting one or the other, so it wouldnt matter which one I get, just more what I desire? Cause I would rather have a new deck, but wasnt sure if I would get better sound from a crossover or the deck. I am confizzled Prowler! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/blackeye.gif.66a1670f5aaf7f406e783a63e3387dc5.gif

just get the 880prs. its in your budget, has a 3 way xover and a 16 band graphic eq.
Well I cant go over 300 actually. I really wanted to find something 250 and under with 4volts, but this crossover thing has got me stumped. I guess I should just go deck since I am tired of the look of it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

okay maybe alpine 9813,9815, 9833, pioneer 860 and even a eclipse 8443 can be had easily under 300. the alpine 9813,9815 probably under 250 and will fit the bill. to make things simpler, i'd toss the external xover and buy an hu with that built in.

okay maybe alpine 9813,9815, 9833, pioneer 860 and even a eclipse 8443 can be had easily under 300. the alpine 9813,9815 probably under 250 and will fit the bill. to make things simpler, i'd toss the external xover and buy an hu with that built in.
Have to check into that. Thanks for your help.

a 'line driver' can increase the voltage.stronger signal to amp= louder, maybe not set with a dmm and 'correctly' but it could be a lot louder and you keep your current hu?

a 'line driver' can increase the voltage.stronger signal to amp= louder, maybe not set with a dmm and 'correctly' but it could be a lot louder and you keep your current hu?
Yeah my installer suggested that, but for 200 plus bucks, I was thinking a crossover or a deck would do the trick.

I was looking into these decks. What would you choose out of these?

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=15383

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=15720

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=15599

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14898

That 2nd kenwood is factory refurbished though. Not liking that too much. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Opinions?

Yeah my installer suggested that, but for 200 plus bucks, I was thinking a crossover or a deck would do the trick.
i have a pg1 line driver 1 channel @ 6 volts iirc, $60 shipped if your interested? i also have an 880prs which im not selling:yumyum:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.