Z v.4 12" In-Car Video

sundownz
Pro Seller

Supporting Vendor
North Carolina

Quick video we did on Derrick's phone last night. Lighting isn't fantastic but we wanted to get something up as soon as it started playing. I'll have to work on getting another with my HD camera and some better lighting.

SAZ-3500D v.2 (original prototype) on the Z v.4 12" D1 prototype woofer -- single 6" aero-port box tuned to ~30 Hz in a box around ~3 ft^3 or so. The VW has a stock alternator and an XS S3400 battery so we went big on the box to avoid pushing the amp hard enough to drop voltage super low and clip (we had clipping / 11.5v drops in the smaller box).

We were getting some very high excursion levels; not to the point of maxing out the suspension but quite a bit beyond what our older platforms are capable of. The video doesn't show this the best so stay tuned for more videos. The goal with the new frame and suspension platform was to create drivers that you don't have to worry about hitting suspension limits -- and that is what we achieved. Even in a big box with a ton of power mechanical stresses are almost non-existent.

Jovanni drivers this car daily and is not easy on it so I consider it an excellent durability test !

Impressive. At some point I would like to play around with one of the lower powered versions of this platform.

As a low tuned setup it's not super strong sealed up but we did meter it at a show over the weekend :

Two Windows Down = 144.5 dB

Driver Window Down = 145.1 dB

Both done @ 30 Hz -- we'll be trying two of them on an NS-1 at some point; shooting for 150 dB with driver window down @ 30 Hz //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

As a low tuned setup it's not super strong sealed up but we did meter it at a show over the weekend :
Two Windows Down = 144.5 dB

Driver Window Down = 145.1 dB

Both done @ 30 Hz -- we'll be trying two of them on an NS-1 at some point; shooting for 150 dB with driver window down @ 30 Hz //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Not bad of a score. I'm going purchase two 12" z v4's when they come out. How would a 4.8 cu ft net box with a 8.25 octo port tuned to around 33hz be for those subs? They'll be running off a sundown saz-3500 v2. I'm trying to hit some good numbers at a lower frequency in my 2 door civic.

Thanks

Not bad of a score. I'm going purchase two 12" z v4's when they come out. How would a 4.8 cu ft net box with a 8.25 octo port tuned to around 33hz be for those subs? They'll be running off a sundown saz-3500 v2. I'm trying to hit some good numbers at a lower frequency in my 2 door civic.
Thanks
We have the single 12" in 3 cubes with a single 6" port -- sounds like you are within the range; box could go bigger if you wanted to take advantage of more of the mechanical capacity.

We have the single 12" in 3 cubes with a single 6" port -- sounds like you are within the range; box could go bigger if you wanted to take advantage of more of the mechanical capacity.
I wish I can go bigger but the trunk opening limits everything. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Thanks for the help though, cant wait until I get them. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Also, any carbon fiber dust caps for these beasts?

Derrick has the pics and videos to upload later... but we got up to 145.5 dB @ 25 Hz today in testing @ 1970 clamped watts. We are looking forward to trying two of them on an NS-1 with upgraded electrical when production arrives... 150 @ 25-30 Hz with two 12s... maybe ?

do these have faraday rings like the z3 models did? How do these seem to do above 60hz?
Yes they have the same pole cap shorting ring / air direction piece and magnet ID shorting ring.

They are the strongest down low -- but there is nothing electrically limiting them up higher. They don't like to PEAK up high for SPL in stock format but play the entire bass range well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

sundownz

Pro Seller
Supporting Vendor
sundownz
North Carolina
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date