xxx tinsel pop

thefallen2007
10+ year member

Texas
I'm pretty sure the tensil's hopped together after a surge through my amp or something because both the positive tensils popped. Thats my guess, I really dont know what happened. It was wired right and everything. I was wondering if there was a quick fix for tensil that would last me a day or so until I can get a recone?

no need for a recone....ive done this repair before, if done right it'll work just fine.

you need new:

-new tensil wire (paypal me 5 bucks and ill mail you a bunch of them so if u mess up u can try again and again). any other wire wont work, ive tried lol...

-epoxy, home depot has a wide rang of these, any kind of extra strength epoxy or jb weld will work

-soldering gun

cut the ten about 1mm or 2mm from the cone so just atiny bit is showing.

you take a new tensil and solder it as best you can to the little piece coming out of the cone. dont over do it since you wanna minimize the extra weight thats going onto the cone. it's not alot of weight but its still a good idea to put enough on there so that its secure but not overkill.

after that, you take the epoxy and glue that soldered join TO the cone right to the cone. this is best done turning the whole sub upside down. be careful not to let ANY epoxy get on the spider (that would very very bad). so after it dries basiclly youll have the tensil wire coming out of the spot glued to the cone. if you dont glue that solder joint to the cone itll rub against the cone and either come loose or damage the cone. the epoxy keeps it in place.

now you have to eyeball the correct length this tensil needs to be before you trim it and solder it to the terminals. best way to do this is compare it to another tensil thats normal/not broken. when mine broke it was just one on each side so i could easily compare it to the good tensil next to it on each side. if the tensil is too long there'll be tensil slap and it'll damage the spider + soundannoying. if too small then it''ll break and youll have to do this ******** all over again. your margin of error is pretty **** small. the spot where it leaves the cone isnt probly gonna be exactly where the original tensil came out of the cone so comensate for this. if the spot where the new tensil is a little above where the old spot is, then you'll want just alittle more length on the tensil to make up of this spot being differant. once you get that length right, solder those tensils to the terminals. and you have a repaired xxx. remember to let the epoxy set overnight.

here's a pic of my repair job that worked so well, it outlasted the life of the voice coil through HEAVY abuse (which eventually killed it, but the tensil was fine lol)

the top picture, the glue is a lil messy but you get the idea. you have the soldered joint 1mm or 2mm (close enough to solder it on wiht little to no slack) to the cone, then that joint is glue to the cone, and then the tensil wire just comes out of the glue joint to the terminal. the bottom pic is better looking. unfortunitly the epoxy i used is clear so its kinda hard to see where exactly all the glue is, but know that you need that glued spot to be strong enough to keep that soldered joint in place while that cone is going back in forth full tilt.

also when you think you have the length right to solder to the terminalm move the cone wiht ur hands back and forth to its full excursion and see how the tensil does, use this method to help determine a good length. if done right you'll save urself alot of time and money. if you wwant a bunch of tensil wire paypal me at jomammakinky1@yahoo.com. $5.25 (fees and such) i can mail them tomarrow

pwnage //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

ya back when this happened to me i talked to mark at RE (back before they ******) and paid alil money for a **** ton of tensil wires and he gave me a good discription of how to fix this (which is what i listed). i fixed my xxx and a buddy of mine's xxx and both repair jobs have lastedthe test of time. i find it kinda funy that my repair job on one of them outlasted the lif eof the voice voice coil through terrible abuse...behindthe dustcap.here's the blown xxx cone and coil //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

AND THE TENSIL JOB STILL HELD DISPITE ME BEATING THIS BEAST LIKE A REDHEADED STEPCHILD //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

AND THE TENSIL JOB STILL HELD DISPITE ME BEATING THIS BEAST LIKE A REDHEADED STEPCHILD //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Lol referenced for funnayness.

tensil wires in the mail my man......you should see them this week. better post some pics of that repair job //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Also want to say nice post bassaddictj. That is the ONLY good way to fix a broken tinsel. If you just try to solder the old one back together, it will be too short and have a non-flexible spot right in the center of it (where the solder hardened). The fix you describe keeps the non-flexible points at the ends, where they don't matter.

I can't count how many times Ive seen people recommend fixing them the wrong way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.