wtf is this smell?

titanle
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I just went out for a test drive after making some changes to my system.

- I added some polyfill into the sub enclosure

- I moved the selector to the 0-1V position on the alpine pdx amp and set the gains to about half.

When I had the music up, I noticed this sweet smell. The only thing I can compare it to is that meguiars leather cleaner spray. I dont know if i was just paranoid but i think i saw smoke on the passenger side but im not totally sure. I ahd the windows down and the sun was blazing so it mite have just been thhose heat lines.

I jus got home and checked the amp, its warm but not really hot. The smell is coming from the sub area and the front so i cant pinpoint it. Im letting the truck air out now and am gonna test it out. To see where exactly this smell is ocming from.

Any idea what the hell it could be?

ok i just turned the system up for a while. I put the enclosure on its side and i smelt the woofers. ALthough i could smell something it wasnt very strong. I hava a feeling it mite be the amp. It was very warm to the touch and the smell was in the general area. I still dont know for sure what it is though:confused://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

on a side note i discovered that the crack in the box is letting out tons of air, and theres air escaping from around the terminal cup too.

I just went out for a test drive after making some changes to my system.
- I added some polyfill into the sub enclosure

- I moved the selector to the 0-1V position on the alpine pdx amp and set the gains to about half.

When I had the music up, I noticed this sweet smell. The only thing I can compare it to is that meguiars leather cleaner spray. I dont know if i was just paranoid but i think i saw smoke on the passenger side but im not totally sure. I ahd the windows down and the sun was blazing so it mite have just been thhose heat lines.

I jus got home and checked the amp, its warm but not really hot. The smell is coming from the sub area and the front so i cant pinpoint it. Im letting the truck air out now and am gonna test it out. To see where exactly this smell is ocming from.

Any idea what the hell it could be?
Whats the preamp Voltage on your headunit.. vs.. what you have selected on at the amp? You can be clipping without noticable distortion

On a side note..start the vehicle with the system off and see if you can smell it turn your heat on too..may have antifreez leak. It has a sweet smell and lingers for a while in low areas

how old are the subs? i think in general there will be a little smell with any new equipment, excess glue burning off.

Whats the preamp Voltage on your headunit.. vs.. what you have selected on at the amp? You can be clipping without noticable distortion
On a side note..start the vehicle with the system off and see if you can smell it turn your heat on too..may have antifreez leak. It has a sweet smell and lingers for a while in low areas
My deck has 4volt preouts and i had my amp on the 1.0-8.0V setting since i got it. But the other day I put it to the 0-1.0V setting and it got way louder so I just left it there and lowered the gains to half. Think that could be it?

I made the same mistake with my PDX1.1000. If you don't set the gain selector switch to match the pre-out voltage on you head unit then you'll send direct current to your subs and they'll fry. ie. I've got 4v pre-outs so I set mine to 1.0v - 8.0v.

I made the same mistake with my PDX1.1000. I you don't set the gain selector switch to match the pre-out voltage on you head unit then you'll send direct current to your subs and they'll fry. ie. I've got 4v pre-outs so I set mine to 1.0v - 8.0v.
so i should put it back to the 1-8V setting?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.