wtb laptop

Just browsing the market for a laptop to contact people with while I'm at ait. Let me know what you have and how muchPrefer i5 or i7 processor.
I would look into AMD's Mobile A6/A8/A10 lineup. Very comparable or beats Intel's mobile chipsets. Also, for general use an i3 is more than enough. Hell I game on my laptop and has a first generation Sandy Bridge i3.

I would look into AMD's Mobile A6/A8/A10 lineup. Very comparable or beats Intel's mobile chipsets. Also, for general use an i3 is more than enough. Hell I game on my laptop and has a first generation Sandy Bridge i3.
AMD is no where near comparable to Intel's chipset. Even an 8 core AMD CPU is slower than a 4 core i5 and 99% of programs out there cant take advantage of the extra cores.

NuckinFutz what other specs are you looking for? SSD, integrated or dedicated GPU, HD space, etc?

AMD is no where near comparable to Intel's chipset. Even an 8 core AMD CPU is slower than a 4 core i5 and 99% of programs out there cant take advantage of the extra cores.
NuckinFutz what other specs are you looking for? SSD, integrated or dedicated GPU, HD space, etc?

This is incorrect. The FX8350 and 9000 series competes with the i5/i7 in gaming. General multipurpose use won't matter as you won't see a real world difference. When it comes to computing it depends solely on the software who wins.

But, AMD's laptop CPU's are much better bang for your buck and give very similar, if not better, performance.

But, yes OP, tell us some more specs and what your looking to spend and I'll keep an eye out.

This is incorrect. The FX8350 and 9000 series competes with the i5/i7 in gaming. General multipurpose use won't matter as you won't see a real world difference. When it comes to computing it depends solely on the software who wins.
But, AMD's laptop CPU's are much better bang for your buck and give very similar, if not better, performance.

But, yes OP, tell us some more specs and what your looking to spend and I'll keep an eye out.
Performance is about the same when using all cores. Single core performance of the i5 is almost 2 full points ahead of the FX. The i5 is a smaller chipset and runs cooler, requires less power, almost double the Passmark and Cinebench bench tests.

Intel Core i5 4670K vs AMD FX 8350

Performance is about the same when using all cores. Single core performance of the i5 is almost 2 full points ahead of the FX. The i5 is a smaller chipset and runs cooler, requires less power, almost double the Passmark and Cinebench bench tests.
Intel Core i5 4670K vs AMD FX 8350
But at the same time the FX series can be overclocked above and beyond the i5/i7 giving it a substantial boost. Not to mention its 40 bucks cheaper than an i5.

Also with those benches it all depends on where its done. And benchmarks don't mean a whole lot in real world application. Are you going to tell the difference between the two doing your gaming or normal stuff? No.

I'm not trying to sound like a nuthugger. I run an OC'd i5 myself.

But at the same time the FX series can be overclocked above and beyond the i5/i7 giving it a substantial boost. Not to mention its 40 bucks cheaper than an i5.
Good luck running a laptop's CPU overclocked..... Either have some god mode ice-cold cooling pad, or peace out.

I have this bad boy laying around if you're interested: TOSHIBA Qosmio X505-Q870 NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM (1.60GHz) 4GB Memory 500GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 18.4" Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Newegg.com

If you wanna talk about the laptop, PM me. It is in great condition, I take care of all my computer stuff.

Good luck running a laptop's CPU overclocked..... Either have some god mode ice-cold cooling pad, or peace out.I have this bad boy laying around if you're interested: TOSHIBA Qosmio X505-Q870 NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM (1.60GHz) 4GB Memory 500GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 18.4" Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Newegg.com

If you wanna talk about the laptop, PM me. It is in great condition, I take care of all my computer stuff.
We were discussing desktop CPUs. Laptop CPUs don't come with an unlocked multiplier without some hefty bios modding.

And OP check into what robby posted. Its got pretty good specs and Toshiba is a pretty decent laptop company. But if you want to save money, find one with an i3. It does great for what you want it for. Unless you want to game on it, then youll be shelling out money new or used.

i personally run an fx 8350 overclocked to 5.2 with liquid cooling, sure it does well on benchmarks but an I5 is much speedier. Most day to day applications and gaming use single thread processing and thats something AMD can never compete with. I dont prefer a certain brand to another but I have to recognize each strength's and weaknesses.

We were discussing desktop CPUs. Laptop CPUs don't come with an unlocked multiplier without some hefty bios modding.
And OP check into what robby posted. Its got pretty good specs and Toshiba is a pretty decent laptop company. But if you want to save money, find one with an i3. It does great for what you want it for. Unless you want to game on it, then youll be shelling out money new or used.
That would make sense, sorry brain fart.....

The laptop I had was mostly used for League of Legends, Counter Strike, Battlefield 3, and Visual Studio. The laptop ran great with VS.

Ultra/High on CS/LoL

Med on BF3

I don't know if OP plans to game, but at least you know what it is capable of playing. Visually it is almost like new. Hardware was still functioning last month when I used it at a friend's CS LAN, and has never given me any problems. (BSOD, etc)

The one con that I have is the size/weight. I had to buy a large bookbag to fit the laptop...Large, no joke. I would most likely ship that as well cause I have no use other than to move that laptop around lmao

i personally run an fx 8350 overclocked to 5.2 with liquid cooling, sure it does well on benchmarks but an I5 is much speedier. Most day to day applications and gaming use single thread processing and thats something AMD can never compete with. I dont prefer a certain brand to another but I have to recognize each strength's and weaknesses.
Most new modern games take advantage of 2-4 cores. My friend's 8350 is very comparable to my i5 at 4.2

I'll admit that it is a fact that Intel destroys AMD when it comes to single threaded applications, however, things such as a browser you won't see a real world difference. And if you're tech savvy enough, the 8350 is much better for multitasking. Assigning different cores to different applications.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.