Would you use particle board vs. MDF?

Participant count
  • Participant list

samger2
10+ year member

I know this question has been beaten to death...and I know what I would do if I were building my own box...but to be honest I'm feeling lazy and there's a guy on the jeep forum building custom boxes for the cubby holes of Cherokees...they look really nice and are fully air tight...however he's using particle board not MDF. I've built 3 boxes myself for this Jeep and I'm considering replacing mine with one of his for space saving reasons...I'm just concerned with the particle board vs. the MDF. He's asking $135 shipped for the box...it's custom and a perfect fit...but again it's particle board.

Would you be concerned?

When you get it line the inside with resin to make it stronger and "seal" it up better. What are you going to put in it, and what are you going to power it with? If it's a single 10" with like 500w, I wouldn't think it would be much of a problem. Granted mdf would be better, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

When you get it line the inside with resin to make it stronger and "seal" it up better. What are you going to put in it, and what are you going to power it with? If it's a single 10" with like 500w, I wouldn't think it would be much of a problem. Granted mdf would be better, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.
x2, I agree. For low power applications it probably won't make much of a difference, but it still wouldn't hurt to glass the inside.

That's a good idea about putting a coating of resin on the inside. Would I need to lay glass as well? Or would a just the resin be sufficient?

It's going in a 2000 Jeep Cherokee in the cubby hole section and will be housing a single 10". Not exactly sure what sub or what amp yet.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.