Will my box work for my Zv4 12 I just ordered.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Syphlyn

Canada
Hey guys,

I've decided to run with the Zv4 on my Sundown SAZ-2000D, can't wait to see the lows this thing hits!

Anyways I have my box design, thanks to Joe X! It was originally planned for an X12 but I think it might work for my Zv4. I'll be pushing the full potential of the SAZ-2000D to this sub @ 1 ohm. I have a 270A Mechman alternator coming soon!

Anyways here's my box: imgur: the simple image sharer

2.5 cubic feet

32hz

39 sq inches of port

15.5 sq inches of port/cubic foot

2 baffles

Sub/port is firing upwards

The box is already at it's max width and depth that I can go to, but I can always add some height if needed. Just wanna know if that box is ideal for my Zv4 and if there's enough port area.

Thanks for your time.

Folks have had issues since these came out. You're stuck paying shipping to fix it.
That was an initial problem when they were shipping out last summer. I've seen posts from Jacob stating the issue is fixed. If it was a current issue no one would be buying them.

Edit: You are correct though, there were issues with the surround adhesion and with the coils coming loose.

The spider issue still happens. People buy them cause they say sundown.
Did you have a bad experience with Sundown? You sound incredibly bitter towards the company.

I hope these issues still don't happen...

I've never had a bad experience but I've seen many others locally.

Showing all Zv4 woofers are glued in house and not at the factory in china. I'm sure these issues have been fixed. Nothing is always 100% perfect, yes it should be for the price we pay but a company can't control it all. You have to remember (and so do I) that most of the things you hear on these forums are the negatives. I bet 95% of all purchases are problem free but online we mostly see the other 5% on here complaining.

I don't know maybe I'm wrong but that's how I've always thought of it.

Showing all Zv4 woofers are glued in house and not at the factory in china. I'm sure these issues have been fixed. Nothing is always 100% perfect, yes it should be for the price we pay but a company can't control it all. You have to remember (and so do I) that most of the things you hear on these forums are the negatives. I bet 95% of all purchases are problem free but online we mostly see the other 5% on here complaining.

I don't know maybe I'm wrong but that's how I've always thought of it.
Spiders are ripping dude.

Spiders are ripping dude.
Well maybe that's because every sundown owner sees the 1750w rms rating and immediately tries to throw 2x the rated power at the driver. They're rated at 1750w FOR A REASON! Sure you can go maybe 2k or 2500 but don't just go "oh la la la sundown 1750w my 5000w amp will really make that sub come alive".

Also what I've learned is a lot of people don't know what they're doing and see someone running a Zv4 @ .5 ohms with 3500w and think they can do it on stock electrical and wreck ****, then post on here blaming the company.

I'm not saying this is purely sundown but right now sundown has gotten the reputation of way under rated woofers. You can run more power to most woofers IF you know what you're doing.

Anyways still looking for ideas about my box. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yo @NoLoud4U; relax there guy, he just was asking a question about his box.

I would push the specs up to 3 cubes and 50 in^2 of port and see how she runs. Heard a pair of 15" zv4's the other day and they were in a massive box with a huge port and it was loud as hell and hit wicked low. If you aren't sure whether or not a box will work well, build it a bit oversized and when you can add in pieces of wood to the inside to shrink down the volume and port size until it sounds good. If you want to go with more port area, check out the concrete sonotubes at home depot/lowes. Can play around with port area and such until you get it sounding how you want it. An 8" sonotube will give you 50 in^2 of port. Keep in mind that circular "aero" ports are more efficient and require less port area than a standard slot port (so if 50 in^2 sounds like it's too much port, it might be a good amount for a slot port instead)

[quote name='Kangaroux']Yo @NoLoud4U; relax there guy, he just was asking a question about his box.

I would push the specs up to 3 cubes and 50 in^2 of port and see how she runs. Heard a pair of 15" zv4's the other day and they were in a massive box with a huge port and it was loud as hell and hit wicked low. If you aren't sure whether or not a box will work well, build it a bit oversized and when you can add in pieces of wood to the inside to shrink down the volume and port size until it sounds good. If you want to go with more port area, check out the concrete sonotubes at home depot/lowes. Can play around with port area and such until you get it sounding how you want it. An 8" sonotube will give you 50 in^2 of port. Keep in mind that circular "aero" ports are more efficient and require less port area than a standard slot port (so if 50 in^2 sounds like it's too much port, it might be a good amount for a slot port instead)[/QUOTE]

Good advice, so I have the plans for the 2.5 cubic foot box, should I try to push it to 3 cubic feet and maintain the 14-16 inches of port per cube?

Good advice, so I have the plans for the 2.5 cubic foot box, should I try to push it to 3 cubic feet and maintain the 14-16 inches of port per cube?
Yes that would probably work well. Keep in mind that the "port area per cube" thing is nothing more than a very general rule of thumb. Don't take it to heart and then be let down when it doesn't sound right. It's a good starting point but don't be afraid to experiment

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Syphlyn

Syphlyn
Canada
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
LosIsATool