Why Am I Smelling Burned KICKER!!!

zerocarpileup
10+ year member

The Birds The Word!!!!!!!
I been having a problem, i have one15" kicker L7 4OHM in a single sealed enclosure, powerd by a Powerbass ASA 1500.1 3000 w Mono, and a Audio Control Overdrive Line driver for the low sub output from the Kenwood DDx712.

Ok so why am i smelling burned Kicker, im sure most of you know what it smelles like. kind of a sweet mothball like smell.

I know the kicker L7 can take alot of punishment but althogh the Powerbass is a pretty strong amp i didnt think it would take the Kicker to the "limit"

Please help! what is going wrong, since im a noob maybe its a matter of tweaking the levels on the HU and the amp.

Can someone Show me the right Levels to have my Gain lowpass filter phase

( whatever that is) ECT.....

I been having a problem, i have one15" kicker L7 4OHM in a single sealed enclosure, powerd by a Powerbass ASA 1500.1 3000 w Mono, and a Audio Control Overdrive Line driver for the low sub output from the Kenwood DDx712.
Ok so why am i smelling burned Kicker, im sure most of you know what it smelled it befor kind of a sweet mothball kinda smell.

I know the kicker L7 can take alot of punishment but althogh the Powerbass is a strong stong amp i didnt think it would take the Kicker to the "limit"

Please help! what is going wrong, since im a noob maybe its a matter of tweaking the levels on the HU and the amp.

Can someone Show me the right Levels to have my Gain lowpass filter phase

( whatever that is) ECT.....
how are you smelling the sub if its on a sealed box?

also what size is the box?

I've smelled sub from a sealed box. It can happen.
Like it was said, read the gain setting tutorial.
ok i was just wondering i wouldn't think you'd be able to if it was in a sealed box. i've only owned one sealed box before so i really didn't know

yea its definitely the sub thats smelling after it pounds Hard for about 3 or four minutes i start to get that smell. The dimensions are

16-1/2H x 16-1/2W x 16 1/2D 1.6 Cubic feet

What is a DMM? and where and what is the gain setting tutorial? now since i have the overdrive i have have the gain pretty low. im thinking it a problem with the other settings what does the phase do? i also have the option on the HU. should they be that same or oposite and how about the pass filters?

You're clipping the amp and burning up the woofer because you did not properly set your gain on your amp.

The Gain setting tutorial is just what it sounds like. It's stickied in the amplifier forum. Do your self a favor and go read it before you blow up either your woofer, or your amplifier.

Ok so i went through the tutorial and all i saw was other people asking pretty much the same question. and what am i suposed to Measure with the multimeter?

what does clipping mean and how do i recognize it? please help guys, im a total NOOB.

why do i smell NOOB

turn the gain down and if you do not have a digital multi meter

turn the gain all the way down and turn your deck up to your max listening level preferably with a song that makes the sub smell lol

and slowly turn the gain up little by little and when you hear clipping turn the gain down until it is gone and voila done

for the time being

u damm sure need a bigger box and your amp aint gonna blow that sub...like everyone else said go through the gain tutorial thats all it is besides the fact that ur sub cant freakin breathe

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.