Which head unit would you use?

Participant count
  • Participant list

gpgtp

Banned
okc
Alright, Ive used the search and found a BUNCH of threads comparing the units I listed, but no one thread seemed to have a clear, concise answer! I have 3 head units available to use, and cant really decide on which one to use. It will be going in a 1996 GMC Jimmy in a spl oriented daily build (likely 4 10's) Ill try and list the pros and cons of the units

Premier 860MP

PROS-

Extensive experience with this unit, as i've owned it for many years

Love the display, interface, and eq controls/adjustability

6.5 Volt preouts

Cons

Even though I love the eq setup, etc on the unit its not as indepth as the other two

Motorized face, while very nice, has potential to develop problems over time (ive actually just got it back from being repaired already!

Display, while I like it, will not match the dash, and can look kind of out of place

CD drive has a habit of becoming mis aligned and not spitting the CD out all the way

(From what ive read) terrible Ipod control

Premier 880PRS

PROS

Seems like an updated 860MP, which is awesome

Display is as nice as the 860MP, but being white it seems more "professional", if not a little conservative.

An insane amount of adjustments available, which is awesome, although a bit daunting!

CONS

Lower voltage preouts, IIRC, than the 860 (I think 5 volt?)

Same motorized face potential problem as the 860

EQ- Although it seems awesome, I have NO desire to go active, so it may be a bit overkill, and a potential pain in the ***

Havent seen much about Ipod control, but what I have read seems to indicate its clunky and slow. not good.

Display again, doesnt match my dash very well, and the silver color of the actual unit is WAY outta place!

Same CD eject issue listed above, as thats applied to every pio ive ever used!

Alpine 9887

Pros

CD player is very highly rated by every owner ive ever talked to/read a review from

Seems for IPOD usage the alpine is the way to go out of the 3

Another one with a nice eq

Adjustable colors on the face lighting will make it easier to match my dash, and not look SO out of place

Display is easy to read, and clear

Loads mp3s faster than either of the pioneers listed here (as tested on my test bench)

Cons

Display is easy to read, but ugly IMO

Menu is absolutely TERRIBLE to navigate through (Do you REALLY need to have 4-5 buttons to control eq stuff?)

Has the ability to use "imprint" technology, however, I dont have anything needed for that, and not really interested in using it.

Again, not going active, so a LOT of the adjustments are of little use to me!

The lowest preout voltage of the group, although still good at 4 volts

Sorry for the long, drawn out post, but trying to get some of your valuable opinions!

Thanks

I'd go alpine just never really liked pioneer headunits. The only problem with alpine I've had is the buttons silk screen seem to wear off easy

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.