When do signal processing filters get applied?

Participant count
  • Participant list
My head unit uses pre-outs to a discrete amplifier.

My head unit has signal processing filters (low pass and high pass)

My amp has signal processing filters (low pass and high pass)

If I set the High Pass Filter on my head unit to 50hz, does that mean my amplifier will never get a signal below 50hz for channels 1-4? Or do head unit signal processor filter settings only apply when you are using the built in head unit amplifier?

Confusing because both the head unit and the amp have signal processing filter settings

It's better to do your crossovers on the head unit if they're adequate for your needs, and either set the amplifier to full range or turn the frequency setting out of range. For example, if you set a low pass filter of 80 Hz on the head unit, set the amplifier's low pass filter above 80 Hz so the signal isn't affected so much a second time.

headunit processing occurs first. use one or the other b/c you'll create a different rolloff by using multiple crossovers which can cause a displeasing sound. no setting is true without measurement. just b/c you set your filter at Xhz on the head unit doesn't mean that it's actually at that hz but it'll keep a base line that is consistent.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.