what would you do?

Ryde _Or_Die
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Tampa, FL
Well I have a set of CDT components up front and a set of CDT coaxials in the rear. I have a 4 channel amp thats not strong enough for the components or clean enough. So I am going to get a better amp for the components. Now keep in mind that in the rear I found the sound to be coming TOO much from the front only. I am thinking of adding another set of coaxials in the rear and running all those off the 4 channel amp and using the better amp for the front. Or I might just get a better 4 channel and stick with what I have? What would you do? Also, the 4 channel can be taken back to the zeb if I want.

I say return your not so great 4 channel, and buy a really nice one that does maybe 75x4 or 100x4 and set the gains properly and get it all sounding how you want it.

Tampa, FL eh?

I just put eurofits (CL-61s but shollower) and CL-5X coaxials in a ML330 last weekend, with an Avionixx Class T 125x4 amp, and it freaking screams!

If the owner wouldn't mind, I could let you listen to it if it would help you decide.

Well my current amp is a profile CA640 (75x4rms) but it isn't clean enough because my x-overs are cutting out my tweeters real quick. I am looking for a 100+rms x 4 amp right now. Was looking at the RF 801x or maybe the 850x. How much is that Avionixx?

http://www.avionixxusa.com/ep/products.htm

Yes, that avionixx amp will sound very clean and do at least it's rated power.

Thomas (my friend) has an AXT 800.4 (Class T, the early tripath chips were considered noisy, but not so now).... his speakers get loud, very loud. I wish he had a better deck, but as is: using no additional daplifiers his car sounds clean and crisp. He is probably adding a sub in a little while, but for now, it is a HUGE improvement over the premium mercedes premium speakers.

What do you mean your x-overs are cutting out your tweeters real quick? If you are speaking of distortion when trying to gain the system up a bit, make sure there isn't a strand of copper on your equalizer jumpering the tweeter and the woofer's signal. I had this problem on the CDT X-overs, and I need to wrap each wire in electrical tape or solder them, but I haven't had time yet. You may want to check on that though, if it seems like the tweeters are breaking up at too low of volumes.

If I have it turned up very loud it will sound nice (still not loud enough for me) for a couple minutes and then I lose my high highs. Someone told me if the gains were too high or the amp wasn't clean enough the CDT's x-over will cut out the tweeters to protect them. I was only giving the components 75rms at the most. I turned the gains down some and it still did it so I figure the amp isn't clean enough.

That avionixx is the amp ive got and it is unbelievable. Ive got it hooked to some focal polyglass speakers and it is VERY clean, VERY loud, and definately does AT LEAST its rated RMS power. Its very solid and pretty heavy too. I bought it from the same guy on ebay actually, good service.

If I have it turned up very loud it will sound nice (still not loud enough for me) for a couple minutes and then I lose my high highs. Someone told me if the gains were too high or the amp wasn't clean enough the CDT's x-over will cut out the tweeters to protect them. I was only giving the components 75rms at the most. I turned the gains down some and it still did it so I figure the amp isn't clean enough.
what do u mean the amp isnt CLEAN enough. hooking up another amp to ur system isnt going to make a difference. u will still haev the same problem. figure out ur problem and fix it. try turning the treble down on ur head unit. I run a profile amp to my crystal componenet and have never had such problems.

Why should I have to turn down the treble? I only want highs from my components. I think if I get an amp that puts out more power and turn the gains down I should be fine, right?

Ok.. first off, if you reply to someone smarter than you.. use a little more respect.

Capone knows his stuff.

I too run profile amps for my comps, and they get really loud and sound incredible. When you run a high quality component set... you WILL get a lot of highs.. by putting your treble up to the max (or even close), you are probably still getting TOO Much high pitched noise and it probably sounds like crap.

The profile amps (or just about any amp for that matter) puts out power that is "plentY clean" a watt is a watt. As long as the THD is low enough (which it is), you're giving it clean power, and your problem is elsewhere.

You are probably underpowering your components, yes... but there is also functions called "fade" built into your head unit that can help .....

Well first off I was having an attitude by any means. I am just wondering why I need to turn down the treble or anything else really since I'm not giving the components enough power even. I really just want more power to work with I think. Then I can turn the gains down and still get plenty of power to the comps and not work the amp too hard. Does that sound good?

Yeah, no worries, I'm just a crabby college student that works too much. It's all good. Yeah, it usually doesn't hurt to have an amp with plenty of power, and keep the gains way, way down. That's the way I personally run my stuff, it sounds better and I don't "blow" things very often that way.

T.J.

Yeah, no worries, I'm just a crabby college student that works too much. It's all good. Yeah, it usually doesn't hurt to have an amp with plenty of power, and keep the gains way, way down. That's the way I personally run my stuff, it sounds better and I don't "blow" things very often that way.
T.J.

Thats what I'm talking about.

Man I was looking at your setup and its pretty close to what mine will be. I have the CDT comps, CDT coaxials, 2 profile amps (CA640, CA600) and I'm waiting on my e12k.44 right now. How many watts are you giving it and how does it sound?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Ryde _Or_Die

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
Ryde _Or_Die
Tampa, FL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date